Honored Contributor

Dr. Who fans... a woman at last!

[ Edited ]

BREAKING NEWS: Broadchurch star Jodie Whittaker becomes first EVER woman to play Doctor Who

• Actress Jodie Whittaker confirmed as the first ever woman to play the Doctor 
  • Announcement was made on BBC One at the end of the Men's Wimbledon Final
  • Teaser trailer shows a mysterious cloaked figure walking through a wood 

Broadchurch star Jodie Whittaker is to be the first ever woman to play Doctor Who, it has been announced. 

The identity of the 13th Time Lord was revealed on BBC One and on social media around the world after the Men's Wimbledon Final today.

She will be the Thirteenth Time Lord and take over from Peter Capaldi, who leaves the global hit show at Christmas after holding the role since 2013. 

She will be the Thirteenth Time Lord and take over from Peter Capaldi who leaves the global hit show at Christmas
Broadchurch star Jodie Whittaker has been confirmed as the new Docto. The announcement was made on BBC One after the Men's Wimbledon Final today
New head writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall, who takes over from Steven Moffat on the next series, made the decision to cast the first ever woman in the iconic role.

He said: 'I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice. Her audition for The Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way.'

The 35-year-old, who was born in Skelmanthorpe, West Yorkshire, trained at the Guidhall School of Music and Drama and made her professional debut in the play The Storm at the Shakespeare's Globe theatre 12 years ago. 

She said: 'I'm beyond excited to begin this epic journey - with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet. It's more than an honour to play the Doctor.

'It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can't wait.' 

The figure stops and holds out an empty hand only for the key to the Tardis to materialise out of thin air 

After Mr Capaldi announced plans to step down from the alien role in January, some fans and critics were calling for Mr Moffat to change the Doctor's gender.

Mr Moffat, who also co-wrote the BAFTA award-winning Sherlock series with Mark Gatiss, had previously come under fire for choosing another man to play the role after Mr Capaldi was cast.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4, he said: 'I didn’t not cast a woman... I cast a man. I didn’t [cast a woman] because I wanted to cast Matt Smith and I wanted to cast Peter Capaldi.

'I didn’t think it was a terrible idea [to cast a woman], I just thought, "I want to cast those people" – that was it.' 

'Making history is what Doctor Who is all about', said Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content

Peter Capaldi said : 'Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm. 

Whittaker takes over from Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor.

'She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor.'

Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content said: 'Making history is what Doctor Who is all about and Chris Chibnall's bold new take on the next Time Lord is exactly that. 

'The nation is going to fall in love with Jodie Whittaker - and have lots of fun too!'

Piers Wenger, Controller BBC Drama added: 'Jodie is not just a talented actor but she has a bold and brilliant vision for her Doctor. 

'She aced it in her audition both technically and with the powerful female life force she brings to the role. 

'She is destined to be an utterly iconic Doctor.'

Matt Strevens, Executive Producer said: 'I'm so thrilled that Jodie Whittaker said yes to playing the Doctor. 

'I've been a fan for years and always hoped to work with her. She is an actor of great emotional range and inhabits every role with complete passion and conviction. 

'Just thinking about what she will bring to the Doctor makes me as excited as a kid at Christmas. It's going to be a lot of fun.' 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dr. Who fans... a woman at last!

Great news!  Hoping Brit Idris Elba is chosen to be the next "James Bond".

Respected Contributor

@feline groovyInteresting.  In that photo she looks vaguely like Matt Smith.  Must be the hair.  I hope they do the " New Doctor Jumble",  where the newly regenerated Doctor expresses moments of their previous personalities until they "Settle in"  That's always fun.  I was JUST getting used to Peter C. as the Doctor.  C'mon Christmas Special!

Honored Contributor

I do like that actress and I'll give it fair shot but honestly, I cannot see The Doctor as a woman.  I'll watch it for at least a few episodes but only because I like Jodie Whittaker.

Honored Contributor

Love the old Dr. Who episodes from the 1960s and 70s. I watched a bit of the new revivals for the first few years, but haven't watched in several years. I may tune in to see if I like this new doctor. 

Honored Contributor

I have only ever really seen David Tennant back in the day.  I've not followed it since I lost the BBC America channel many years ago.  

I was enjoying reading all the social media hubbub about it this weekend.  Especially the Star Trek fans and their Captain Janeway memes.  They were getting on their high pedestals a bit and I say that with love to my fellow Janeway fans.

I think this could be incredibly exciting if it's done well like Trek did.  If you have the right person (not familiar with this actress but everyone seems to think she is a great choice), a good show is a good show and a great actor is a great actor.  

I'm not a Whovian but it's nice to see any franchise shake it up a bit with a strong female lead.  I wish her well!  I'm sorry I won't get to see her first hand.   

Respected Contributor

As a Whovian I can tell you the fandom is up in arms about this. A lot of the anger comes from men who can't accept the main character as a female. It's ridiculous, because this is a show (along with comic books, novels, and audio plays) that have featured shape-shifting talking alien penguins and all kinds of weird aliens they don't bat an eyelid at, yet they get scared of a woman. It's embarassing to see and hear them act like toddlers who don't get their way.

The new guy in charge was always going to cast a woman he said, so it would have been another actress if this one wasn't chosen. 

It all comes down to the writing and acting. If one or both is lousy, the whole show suffers. Not the body parts of who plays The Doctor. However, because they always need a new actor when the previous one leaves, they can go back to the tried and true white man if it doesn't work out. But fans always cry and rant about whomever gets casted, no matter what gender it is. It's been going on that way ever since 1969!

Honored Contributor

i am just an off and off dr who watcher......my daughter is the expert in the family.

i also have some friends who are die hard fans......one has even written a book!

i can tell you that the majority of the people who i have heard discussing this are NOT at all happy.......and a few have now said that they are officially DONE with dr who after this new casting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have watched it faithfully since Eccleston (but David Tennant will always be my favorite).  Most of the comments I've read over at Previously TV are favorable.  I only know the actress from Broadchurch, where I found her character annoying.  But she seems to be well regarded as an actress.  

I think they've been throwing hints all season that the next doctor will be a woman, so it wasn't a big surprise.  It won't keep me from watching.  I'm just glad Moffat is gone.  He was terrible at writing female characters.  I hope the new guy does better.  It all depends on the writing. 

Honored Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 @sunshine45  Everyone was done with Star Trek when they created a show without Captain Kirk and Spock and moved on to the Next Generation.  I solemnly hang my head as one of them who refused to give it a chance.  I didn't get it either.

Fast forward a season with Patrick Stewart and the gang with passable writing and new interesting characters and the rest is history.  We all calmed down and got the first black Captain, the first girl Captain, and most importantly learned to shut up and judge only on merits not expectation.

Sounds like your franchise is in good hands.  Smiley Happy