Contributor

I love Dr. Pol. My sister told me about it and usually I don't follow her TV suggestions, but I'm glad I did. I wish I had his energy. I find it a very comforting family-type show to watch on Saturday nights. Charles is cute and funny even when he's not aware he's being funny. My favorite thing to watch is the calves being pulled out from their mother or any little animals being born.

Honored Contributor

My sister's husband was a country vet. He pulled hundreds of calves out of cows, sometimes having to go in elbow deep. Cows do not do birthing well and many of them die. Horses do much better, but it's hard on them too. Once the farmers sold all of their land to developers and the farms pretty much disappeared, he lost all interest in being a vet anymore. He was completely disinterested in dogs and cats, and his practice started to wane. He was always a good surgeon though and worked for his daughter, who also became a vet, as a surgeon in her practice for a while. But even then his heart was no longer in it. Last I heard, he was employed as a landscaper for a country club in Vermont, working mostly on the golfing grounds. That way he could play golf for free and he always loved that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to post that Ford. Sometimes we forget that farmers are very, very important in our lives. They work very hard. There are people who want to be farmers and their families have been farmers for a long time.

Thanks again, Annabellethecat.

Regular Contributor

We love Dr. Pol. We accidentally found the show last year when Nat Geo Wild was on or Directv Package. We really got hooked on the show and was bummed when the channel disappeared. However, we now look @ it on a local channel out of Nashville. It comes on Saturday mornings from 7-8:30 a.m. We didn't know about his legal issues, but we enjoy the show a lot. We didn't know he had a daughter until we saw the episode where they were planning a surprise party for Dr. Pol. Smile

Honored Contributor

I've only seen it a few times and the son is always on there (I guess because he helps him). I never knew he had a daughter either.

I know I live in an area where there are still a few farms and still land but I also live within about 20-25 minutes of downtown Washington, DC.

We always joke that we are all own guns and trucks with gun racks in them. We're like the country bumpkins from where I live on down South Va. We like it that way. It is like night and day between where I live vs Fairfax, Va and on up. Really.

I know people who still live in houses they were born in and their parents were born there. There's a kind of comfort in that (even just knowing them).

When I watch Dr. Pol I always think of all of them.

Honored Contributor

If it's Saturday night, I'm watching Dr. Pol!

Super Contributor

I love Dr. Pol. His home and vet office are less than 10 miles from my home. We do not use him as our vet, because we did not know about him when we got our puppy. He is a typical rural vet. His son is the one who started in the television business while getting a degree at CMU. They're just normal people doing the best job they can. This is how rural America lives. Work hard, play hard, and be good to all.

Honored Contributor

Thanks teach for posting. It seemed to me like he was a good Vet. Thanks.

Super Contributor
On 2/17/2015 annabellethecat said:

I don't know anything about what he does or doesn't do correctly. I've always thought the had the best interest of the animals.

The Vet I go to (for over 24 years) is like a country Dr. He actually travels to Africa to help villagers with rogue animals, etc.

He's a hunter. He fishes. He's wonderful. He's always had the best interest of my cats (and I've had many). He's always been very honest about what is best and if I was wrong in trying to operate to cause more anguish for my cats (not an easy decision, as money has never been an issue) just the cat's welfare.

Dr. Pol seems like a good country Dr. I think you, lolak stated it correctly. You did (in my opinion) a very good job of saying why he is good for that area.

There are always people who want things done differently. These people lose sight of just where he is a Dr. They need a reality check. There are people who love their animals very much but can't afford to pay for their operations. That doesn't mean they are bad people, it just means they don't have the money. Period.

Very well said. He is just a bit of an "Old School" country vet. I think he is fine at his work. The law needs to let him be. As long as no patients have died or been infected, as long as no Owners have issues, the state board needs to leave him be.