Respected Contributor

Because I enjoy people, their lives, problems, joys,  etc., I have been a Dr. Phil viewer.  However, it seems that most of the show is now about selling things such as books he's either written or helped write, his wife's cosmetic line, and now No. 7 cosmetics, the Dr. On Call he and his son  started, plus taking time to plug his podcasts.  Besides those, the local station has constant commercials throughout the hour.   I think the hour is half story and half ads.   The show is so chopped up it's hard to remember the topic.  It's ridiculous and I'm done with Dr. Phil.  

Esteemed Contributor

I stop watching the episode when he starts promoting stuff!  Usually it's the last 5 or 10 minutes of the hour.

Honored Contributor

I watch sometimes but don't take him too seriously. Agree about the unnecessary, excessive promotion of his family's products, companies etc.

Honored Contributor

I always defended him in the past. Thought he really understood people and was sensitive to their problems.

Lately, though think he's preparing for retirement and feathering their nest.

Poor Robin if she smiles to wide her face would never return to form.

Just fall in pieces on the floor. Don't know why people want to monkey around with growing older as nature intended. Look ghoulish.

Respected Contributor

I've been watching Dr. Phil regularly for many many years.  I think he is very good at handling all types of people and asking important questions, putting some in their place when need be whilst being polite at the same time.

Having said that I don't think this past season has been all that great.  Many of the episodes I'm just plain not interested in.  And the past couple weeks he's been having lots of season reruns, so I guess the season will be ending shortly if it hasn't already.

All these endorsements he runs for new products and new books, and showing the same life coach over and over and endorsing these clinics that he sends people to, never failing to mention his son, his wife, his close friend, etc...  Now all these new baby products being sold at Walmart - its all a bit much.  He's gone on to mega-stardom thanks to Oprah. 

I almost didn't recognize Robin this season.  She looks so different.  Her features seem so much sharper and angular.  She's a very pretty woman or was, but she's had a bit too much work done at this point.  jmo

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Robin had her own skin care line that was sold on HSN for a short time. Not sure what ever happened to it.

Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN 

Interesting that you commented about Robin's face.  I have heard Dr. Phil say a couple years ago that they watched a video of a face lift being done and Robin said she'd never get that done.  If she's not having surgery, she's full of fillers and Botox.   All is fine when done gently! 

Respected Contributor

I still watch Dr. Phil because his promotions are at the end of the show.  I just turn to another channel when they start.

I still get to see the main part of the show, not a problem for me.

Honored Contributor

Face lifts these days don't necessarily involve cutting. There are noninvasive ways to do it now, for example using lasers and ultrasound. There's also the use of facial implants and dermal fillers to increase volume.

Honored Contributor

Way back, I used to enjoy watching Dr. Phil.  However, I agree with the OP about the show being choppy and I posted before it seems like he's all about selling his 'stuff'.

Did you know the TV show Bull is supposedly based on HIS life story?  He's a producer on the show.

He and his wife and 2 sons have their hands into everything.  This is fine.  I'm all for American consumerism.  However, I don't constantly want it thrown down my throats when I'm trying to watch a show that purports to help people.

It seems like every 5 minutes (not much of an exaggeration) they are breaking for commercial.  I used to DVR it, but I stopped about a year ago.