Esteemed Contributor

‘Dr. Phil’ fires about 25 workers before start of new season

The long-running daytime talk show “Dr. Phil” conducted a round of layoffs ahead of its upcoming season this fall, a spokesperson for the show confirmed on Friday.

The cost-cutting move affected about 25 workers, most of which worked in production roles for the talk show, the “Dr. Phil” spokesperson said, adding the show had “streamlined production to ensure longevity.”

“As is typical of this process there were some roles we discovered that we could reduce yet still deliver our dynamic, forward-thinking program,” the spokesperson said in a statement to The Post.

Variety was first to report on the layoffs.

The pink slips were dispersed months after allegations of a toxic workplace environment rocked “Dr. Phil,” the show named for its eponymous host, Dr. Phil McGraw.

A report from Buzzfeed News detailed allegations from a dozen current and former employees who said they “experienced verbal abuse in a workplace that fosters fear, intimidation, and racism” while on set. Seven of the workers who spoke to the outlet also said that guests appearing on the show are “manipulated and treated unethically.”

“Everyone was just pretty miserable. You would walk into the building and there was just a palpable dread and anxiety,” one former employee told the outlet at the time. “Dr. Phil — the show about mental health where everybody who works on it has terrible mental health because our work conditions were really bad.”

Another ex-worker said the show’s summer hiatus was their only reprieve and that they “would have nightmares” about the job.

“I would literally be working in my sleep and have nightmares about something being wrong or not turning in something the right way,” the former employee said. “Even when I quit, I had to go to therapy for it, which is crazy because you’re working for a therapist.”

A spokesperson for “Dr. Phil” denied the allegations in Buzzfeed’s report, referring to them as a “click-bait story” containing “verifiably and objectively false characterizations and reporting.”

McGraw was not personally implicated in any wrongdoing on set. Instead, the staffers said the show’s top producers were responsible for the toxic culture.

“Dr. Phil” will debut its 21st season in September on CBS. The show is currently set to air through at least May 2023.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Instead of beefing about it, quit, find another job or request to talk to Phil directly and tell him what's going on or Robin.

Honored Contributor

I can' believe anyone watches this show ! 🤷‍♀️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

There is a heirarchy in most places of business.  No one should suffer in a toxic work environment because they can quit.  A toxic, racist work environment should not exist.

How are they just going to talk to Phil McGraw? SMH

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I can' believe anyone watches this show ! 🤷‍♀️

Welp, it's going into it's 21st season.  They say it's the longest running daytime show in history (though I don't know about that) @QVCkitty1 .  

Comments like this baffle me.  If it's being renewed and still on the air (someone is watching).  It's when they get cancelled that no one is watching.  Go figure........

Honored Contributor

Thats okay because I fired the phony Dr. Phil years ago.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

Did the article mention where the show is being filmed? 

Honored Contributor

Think he's always been in Cal.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Thats okay because I fired the phony Dr. Phil years ago.

I never watched it!  Once in a blue moon if I was home and was channel surfing I'd drop in.  His style of help did not appeal to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

Did the article mention where the show is being filmed? 

No, they didn't say.  Hollywood or Atlanta maybe.