Respected Contributor

I wonder just how much of what the homeless woman reported about the adoptive family is true.  I have to wonder why they made such a fuss denying her allegations.  I bet they get income for having those children in their home.  The husband is pretty unhappy with their adoptive situation, it seems.

Why would a couple adopt so many children when they don't seem to have the time or committment to each of them?   I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.  I hope the CPA keeps their eye on them.

Respected Contributor

I thought the same.  For some reason, I didn't quite trust the wife.

Esteemed Contributor

Today was an odd show.  Why did they go on Dr Phil, nothing was resolved.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirlswrote:

Today was an odd show.  Why did they go on Dr Phil, nothing was resolved.

I feel like nothing is EVER resolved on this show.  Dr. Phil blows a lot of hot air and never seems to have a solution or resolution for his guests.  And yet, I watch.  LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

@fortunewrote:

I wonder just how much of what the homeless woman reported about the adoptive family is true.  I have to wonder why they made such a fuss denying her allegations.  I bet they get income for having those children in their home.  The husband is pretty unhappy with their adoptive situation, it seems.

Why would a couple adopt so many children when they don't seem to have the time or committment to each of them?   I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.  I hope the CPA keeps their eye on them.

Do you mean CPS?  CPA is a certified public accountant.

Trusted Contributor

Just finished watching this. I felt very sorry for the couple being accused. There is no way they were guilty of anything. 

Did anyone notice at the end it said, “In Loving Memory of Cindy Broaddus, Robin’s sister.”  She was the one who had acid thrown on her from an overpass and wrote a book about it. I did a search and it said she died on the 19th and the funeral was the 23rd. She was 68. I wonder why she died but know it will be so sad for all her loved ones. 

Trusted Contributor

@Teddiewrote:

Just finished watching this. I felt very sorry for the couple being accused. There is no way they were guilty of anything. 

Did anyone notice at the end it said, “In Loving Memory of Cindy Broaddus, Robin’s sister.”  She was the one who had acid thrown on her from an overpass and wrote a book about it. I did a search and it said she died on the 19th and the funeral was the 23rd. She was 68. I wonder why she died but know it will be so sad for all her loved ones. 

I want to add that right after the mention of Robin’s sister was another ”In Loving Memory of Deana McGraw, Dr. Phil’s sister.”  She died in January. Very sad time for both of them. 

Honored Contributor

I felt like this whole episode was a commercial for the church.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Phil already knew these people.  So not a story worthy of an hour show. 

I didn't get the point of any of it.  Even the homeless girl said she spoke up just in case.  Obviously nothing came of it. 

And now everyone knows exactly where to find these people with a quick Google search if they want to.  The bad decision making and short sightedness in protecting these kids continues.... 

Respected Contributor

So disgusted by this show. The wife came across like a real shrew . What a nasty woman.  And the so called "Pastor" of their church skyped(or whatever) and said he would like to reach in and strangle the homeless woman. There is a real Man of the Cloth for you!!  The homeless woman needed help, but maybe she did have a gut feeling about something.  They just used her as a punching bag, what was done was done. They should have let it go and not air their dirty laundry on Dr Phil

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I took it totally different than most of you. I don't blame the mother at all for feeling angry. The OP said "I have to wonder why they made such a fuss denying her allegations." Really? You have to wonder why they made such a fuss? It wasn't only the terrible allegations this woman made but she was living in a tent when they invited her into their home so she could recover after her surgery and not only did she accuse them of abuse but she also complained that they weren't doing enough FOR HER like getting her milk and having her meals prepared. 

I think it was very foolish of the couple to invite her into their home in the first place knowing what they knew about this woman to begin with though. They knew she had addictions issues in the past, mental health issues, they knew she had lost her 3 children and had her parental rights terminated and could not even have supervised visits with her own children which says to me she had very very serious problems because the courts do try to keep families together so not to even have supervised visits is extremely serious. They really should have heeded those warnings but I do think they really wanted to help her out.

I also didn't get the same feeling that the husband seemed pretty unhappy with the adoptive situation. What was it that made you think that? They also very may well get income for adopting 7 special needs children but if you know anyone who has adopted special children, it certainly isn't something that that will make you rich by any means. The majority of people who do get money, spend WAY more than they get from adopting. My aunt was a foster parent for years before adopting 2 special needs boys she was a foster parent to. They are brothers and both had fetal alcohol syndrome and in addition to ADHD and mental problems they both have serious physical problems. When she was a foster parent, she wasn't actually "paid" to be one. She did receive reimbursement for expenses and while it does vary from state to state, reimbursement rates are less than what it costs to care for a child. In fact, several states have basic rates that equal less than half the estimated cost of care. Once she adopted the boys though she received a lot less than she did when she was just their foster parent. She certainly didn't get into being a foster parent for the money though, as it should be. There is no question at all though she and her husband spend much more money both as foster parents and now adoptive parents than what they have received and do receive.

As for their minister saying that he admires them for not strangling the woman. Well yes he is a minister and a man of God but he is also a human being and he watched as this couple invited this woman (who was living in tent) into their home andto take care of her after her surgery. It sounds like calling CPS was just a little bit of what this lady did to this couple. He watched them trying to help her and watched as she not only called CPS (accusing one of the other children of abusing the girl too) on them but pretty much complained about how they didn't take care of her well enough for her expectations and didn't cater to her the way she thought they should have. I don't think him saying he was proud of them for not strangling her was bad at all. He is a man of God, but he is also a human being and he witnessed how they really went out of their way to help this woman and she really treated them awfully and I think calling CPS wasn't even the worst of it.

The husband said he was not worried at all about the CPS investigation because he knew they were innocent but the one thing that really bothered him was that his kids would see this is what could happen if you do try to help a person and he didn't want them to ever think that or to be scared of helping a person. I have to say when he said that I could totally understand what he meant. 

For all this woman did to them, I don't think these people were really that defensive at all. I think they were furious at what an entitled pig she was as I would be too.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK