Trusted Contributor

Re: Dr. Alex Karev leaving Grey's Anatomy!

I watched the last episode and was kind of confused.  I thought that Izzy had died during past years.  Could not figure out how Alex would end up with her and the kids at this stage of the game.

Can someone refresh my memory?  Would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Izzy never died, she just left Seattle. My question is that she and Alex had frozen eggs that were already fertilized?/ i knew you could freeze eggs, but not once fertilized, guess i was wrong. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, embryos can be frozen if it's done at the right stage of development, very early on if I remember correctly. 

Re: Izzy, I didn't remember that she and Alex froze embryos, but the producers certainly cut in enough old footage from past seasons to support the idea that Izzy could have had children, and I don't blame Alex for going back to Izzy once he found out he was a father.  He and Jo had a rather rocky relationship (there are no other kinds on "Grey's Anatomy") and both of them were "damaged" in a similar way, making their longevity as a couple either a done deal or impossible, I suppose.  Since the actor wanted to leave, the director, writers and producers took the impossible option, and found a slightly plausible way to write him out of the show, by re-uniting him with Izzy and the children.

Honored Contributor

Also, if he would choose to return to the show, this leaves the door open. 

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey, according to one article I read, Justin Chambers did do the voiceovers.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow. That was not the ending of Alex's story that I would have expected. In fact, I didn't even remember how Issy left the show. I know she had cancer, but I thought she was cured, and I don't remember her exit at all. To me Alex was the most complicated of all the original characters and the one who changed the most. I heard that he wanted to leave the role, so they had plenty of time to create an end story. Not the one I thought would emerge.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Izzy never died, she just left Seattle. My question is that she and Alex had frozen eggs that were already fertilized?/ i knew you could freeze eggs, but not once fertilized, guess i was wrong. 

It's the embryos they froze.

Honored Contributor

I have watched this show since the very beginning. I think the show should end already, it's not as good as it once was. I wouldn't shed a single tear if the show were cancelled.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't watched the show since last year because I really don't like any of the people or stories on there anymore. Alex was my favorite wounded bird and I always liked his stories. I never liked Jo, either with him or on her own, so I was fine with them ending it with Izzie.

My only thought was that from what I heard through clips, that didn't sound like his voice, and if it was, I hope he is doing OK. It sounded too flat to me.

I agree with the many who have said that this show has gone on way too long.

Respected Contributor

Watched Grey's from the beginning...always thought the young docs were obsessed with sex and/or the writers were, but it evolved into a viable following of Meredith which is actually her journey through her life.  She has narrated from the beginning and I am a lover and follower of Grey's.  Have been unhappy with some of the losses and replacements but this is the way it is!  Have stayed with Greys and still love it although some of the current characters and their involvement are odd!  As for Alex's "departure" and the manner in which the writers handled it, I have other ideas how it should have been handled, but I am not a writer.  It is what it is and although I am surprised, after much thought, how else would he have handled this departure, given his "family" history!