Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dr. Alex Karev leaving Grey's Anatomy!

Alex is the one character who has really been allowed to develop as his story was revealed. He had so many demons to overcome, and people in his life kept betraying his faith in them as he became more and more bitter. He was allowed to become a great doctor, to open himself up to love again, and to be a voice of reason. I hate to see him go.

Esteemed Contributor

The actor's name is Justin Chambers.

Honored Contributor

I think when the show first started Chambers already had 5 young children. 

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I saw that Justin Chambers has already appeard in his last episode, and some writer was complaining about that.  Usually a departure is a good reason for a dramatic plot point ... such as Patrick Dempsey's death.  It would be interesting to know why Shondra didn't write a better ending for him.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember reading an interview with him years ago when one of the originals had left the cast and he was asked if he was thinking of leaving.  He mentioned he had five kids he had to put through college and this was a good gig kind of thing.  His kids must be close to finishing up college or he figures he's put enough away in their college fund that he can afford to move on.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is anyone still watching this show? They are handling Alex's absence rather bizarrely. He is supposed to be in Iowa, which is where his mother lives. It doesn't look like his leaving was planned which makes me think it may have been as unexpected to the writers as it was to the viewers.

Hmmmm....

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Tique wrote:

Is anyone still watching this show? They are handling Alex's absence rather bizarrely. He is supposed to be in Iowa, which is where his mother lives. It doesn't look like his leaving was planned which makes me think it may have been as unexpected to the writers as it was to the viewers.

Hmmmm....

Agreed.  It just seems like after all the previous Jo troubles he wouldn't now just walk.  That would have been a good time to start leading into him leaving, or even have him stay at the other hospital but never show him, if they had a clue he was about to leave.  Not very well done at all.  They could have had him stay at the other hospital and everybody else just get hired back rather than this ridiculous storyline.  Jo could talk about him every now and again. 

Respected Contributor

With Alex's character gone I think Jo might as well leave too.  Their story got boring ....Maybe while in Iowa he gets offered a great job and they both move there.

Honored Contributor

Next Thursday will be the "Farewell Dr Karev" episode. Supposedly it will reveal the character's fate.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

Hope all of you are watching. It looks like this may be worth discussing.