Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Hayfield wrote:

I thought last night's episode was great!  I loved when Maggie Smith "toyed" with Mrs. Denker about letting her go, she got hers for toying with the others.  I do hope Anna & Mr. Bates are done with being acused of murder though, that was a little much having Anna in a similar story line at Mr. Bates.  Even though this is the last season, I do hope that a few years down the road, they would revisit and see where all these lives ended up, say 10 to 20 years down the road, it would be interesting.

-----------------------------

Would love to see the show after time has gone by. Truly one of my very favorite TV shows.  I will be so sorry when I can't watch it anymore!

Actually in 20 years from the time of the current DA England and the USA and all of Europe  will be deep in the throws of WW11. And from 1929 until the war they would be going through the depression. The depression was worldwide - not just in the USA -though it was exacerbated here by terrible droughts all across the midwest.

Frequent Contributor

Anna and Bates are never allowed a moment of happiness are they?  

"Anna--isn't it wonderful that we've been cleared of all murder charges and are finally free?"

"Oh well, I guess soooo...but if I can't have a baby what's the use boohoooo..."

Enough already!  BTW, my husband watched with me and he's missed the last couple of seasons. When the Bates exoneration happened he paused the tv and asked me to explain what that was about and I told him I didn't think I could sum it up quickly!

Valued Contributor

Re: Downton Abbey

[ Edited ]

I have watched from the beginning, and, as most, like some characters more than others, but besides The Dowager Countess, I have always loved Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson the most.  Where many liked the scene between Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Carson best, I liked the one between Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson the best...that gentle embrace and closed mouth victorian kiss...how sweet.  No grabbing, no pawing at one another, just a very much old fashioned love scene between two people taking that first step toward intimacy although I speculate the timidity was more in line with 1825 than 1925.  And the mention of Mr. Carson calling his future wife Elsie...how dare they have such informality in their lives...lol. 

I never gave any thought to the fact that Mrs. Hughes was ever married and it wasn't until Robert asked Cora in the kitchen scene toward the end, were they going to have to now call Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Carson instead, that I realized that yes, Mrs. Hughes had been once married.

Does anyone recall hearing whatever happened to Mrs. Hughes's husband?  Wonder if Google will tell me - think I'll take a gander over there and check it out. 

Maria

Well, here it is.  Found a site that explains it but it also tells something about the storyline to come that is not only a spoiler but the link might be a problem so in answer to my question about Mrs. Hughes...

Mrs Hughes has revealed that she has never actually been married, but adopted the "Mrs" title as befits a housekeeper. Before working at Downton Abby Mrs Hughes was "walking out" with a country farmer named Joe Burns. When she received the offer to work at Downton, he proposed, but, after finding her work as the housekeeper at Downton enjoyable and rewarding, Mrs Hughes refused him.

Honored Contributor

@curlywhitedog

I read Mrs. Hughes was never married but used Mrs. because she felt it more proper for the head housekeeper.

Valued Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@curlywhitedog

I read Mrs. Hughes was never married but used Mrs. because she felt it more proper for the head housekeeper.

You're right, we were posting at the same time...lol.

Valued Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Get rid of that old -----Denker why the Dowager puts up with her I don't know and that stuffy butler too. 'Lady' Mary is Daddy's girl and needs a wake up call. Hope Edith's boyfriend returns and they all move on and leave the place.

While I don't disagree about Lady Mary being a daddy's girl, I disagree that she needs a wake up call.  Her decision to not be black mailed showed her as being resolute and willing to accept the consequences of her own actions which indicates a great deal of maturity (in my mind at least).  Her being a daddy's girl is probably more her father's fault than her own...he did what he has always done, protect his family with his wealth.  In fact, didn't her own father say that he was proud of her  and now willing to accept the idea of her ability to "run the house". 

While I do find fault with a lot of Mary's character flaws, I think she's come a long way since Matthew's death.

Maria

Honored Contributor

I think she far**ed around to long. Her Father met the woman one time and got rid of her and for a whole lot less then she thought she was entitled too.

Mary, let it drag on and on. I would had went to the police from the get go and the police would have handled it in their own way since they are a rich and powerful family. She would had gave them money for one of their causes or benefits, etc. LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  Wow!  You should write the follow-up to this show!  Ha!  I watched several times the show where it was explained how and why people are the way they are on this show.

I think out of everyone Lady Mary (and her attitude of being so outspoken) portrays more than many at the way these rich people felt like they were in their 'right' to say whatever they want.  The actress who portrays her does an amazing job.  I like the way these people are so outspoken.  I hate the way today everything has to be so politically correct.  This show is such a stark contrast to the way things are today.

There's a difference between being honest and mean.  My Grandma used to say, "There are two ways to say something".  I know though she didn't mean what's going on in society today though.  You can't say anything without offending someone.

Can you imagine Lady Mary and her ways today?  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@curlywhitedog

Yes, same with Mrs. Patmore.  Never been married but called Mrs.

Hi @lulu2 and Happy New Year!  : )

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@curlywhitedog

Yes, same with Mrs. Patmore.  Never been married but called Mrs.

Hi @lulu2 and Happy New Year!  : )

Happy New Year to you (and your family) too, MJ12.