Valued Contributor

Re: Downton Abbey Reruns on PBS

I just finished binge-watching the entire 6 seasons,  

I may have dozed through some it. 

Wonder if I should watch it again??

Now I can't wait till September for the movie!

Honored Contributor

Do you know if it's PBS the network or on some local stations?  Because our two local PBS stations never run these marathons but if it's PBS network it will air everywhere.  Fingers crossed.  I never get tired of it

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

Do you know if it's PBS the network or on some local stations?  Because our two local PBS stations never run these marathons but if it's PBS network it will air everywhere.  Fingers crossed.  I never get tired of it

@LoriLori

I am so sorry, all I know is that it is showing on WTTW Channel 11. Here is a link to the WTTW schedule for airings.  As you can see it lists "Prime" and a number of others.  I have never really undrstood the distinction between my local PBS channel and the others/  I only know that I generally do not get anything on Prime or others because it is simply not available to me.  No not even know the reason for this.  Guess it is like all of these networks like Hulu, Netflix, etc. :

https://schedule.wttw.com

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, @LogoFan! I'll gladly watch this wonderful series again. The series finale was cut short- I didn’t get to see the wedding and whatever happened after that due to my DVR recording. This time, when we get to the end, I'll be sure to watch it “live.” 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LogoFan wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@LoriLori

I am so sorry, all I know is that it is showing on WTTW Channel 11. Here is a link to the WTTW schedule for airings.  As you can see it lists "Prime" and a number of others.  I have never really undrstood the distinction between my local PBS channel and the others/  I only know that I generally do not get anything on Prime or others because it is simply not available to me.  No not even know the reason for this.  Guess it is like all of these networks like Hulu, Netflix, etc. :

https://schedule.wttw.com

@LogoFan 

Please don't apologize -- I'm grateful to you for responding!!!

I can explain the difference:  

It's like the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC).  Some of the time belongs to the networks and some belongs to the local stations.  First-run programming at night like Victoria and Downton, etc., they all have to run it and at the same time (and why wouldn't they?). 

A lot of the rest of the schedule is belongs to the local station, which pays individual license fees for the programs they show.  That's why no two cities show the same programming except almost always at night (and by first-run I'm including night-time reruns) and regularly scheduled news, etc.

Like on the regular networks:  The morning shows belong to them.  A piece of the afternoon including the soap operas belong to them.  After that the local stations get syndicated time. 

People complain their soaps are always pre-empted for political press conferences and other stuff -- the networks can't cut into Dr. Phil and Judge Judy, etc. because they're syndicated so that time belongs to, and is sold by, the local stations through the local news.  Then there's the network neews and the next hour is back to local stations.  Prime time and late n ight and the rest of the night belongs to the network. 

(TMI?  sorry!)   

I get one public televisoin station from Miami/Broward and the other from Palm Beach County and they have different shows on a lot of the time and neither has shown Downton Abbey in ages. 

HTH!  And thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan 

I’m planning to watch the series again later in the summer before the movie comes out. I expect to enjoy it more the second time around, if that is possible!

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori  Thanks for all of that information.  I actually copied and put that in a document.  Sometimes my brain is too tired to absorb everything at the end of the day.

Hope you get to see it.

Honored Contributor

@LogoFan wrote:

@LoriLori  Thanks for all of that information.  I actually copied and put that in a document.  Sometimes my brain is too tired to absorb everything at the end of the day.

Hope you get to see it.

You're quite welcome.   It's not airing here, not on either station.  I'm disappointed.  

Honored Contributor

Whoa!   I just noticed 2 episodes back to back running this Sunday!