Honored Contributor

Re: Doris Day/James Garner TCM Saturday

[ Edited ]

@twinsister wrote:

@Oznell - Thanks for the information on "Julie".   I will have to watch it again, but it is rarely shown.

I really liked "Julie". It was kind of odd they chose DD for this, but boy it sure worked. I used to get Julie and Midnight Lace mixed up in my mind 'cause I knew they were both thrillers. Midnight Lace wins, tho. That was a terrific movie. I can still hear that little voice. Ewww....

Honored Contributor

@twinsister I think for a long time now stars hire publicists who hire people to sign the pictures, etc.

Quick story:  When I worked for in the Pentagon I started out as a GS-2...I doubt if there's anything that low now!  Ha!  I was a glorified secretary.  Anyway, for a short time I worked in JAG.  I used a machine where a disc sat (with curves all in it) and it held a fountain pen as the disc moved (with paper under the pen) it magically signed the piece of paper.  It was this person's signature!  

These days I'm sure the signatures are all copied but with less inventive ways.  You can pretty much know most are not hand written, unless you are before the person (i.e. book signing) and see them sign the thing.

I do have something I consider valuable.  A long time ago I used to write letters (yes, real letters) to Clive Cussler.  Every book (and there are many) he writes is always on the best seller list.

Mr. Cussler and I used to correspond (in letters, etc) with each other.  I had his home address (printed on the envelope and on the letter.  He gave me inside info on his best known books and the characters.

I gave to a friend some of them, but (thank goodness) I kept a few.  It's fun to look at them and remember the books.  He even gave me handwritten pages from the books that were published.

I know that was for real.  He's still writing best sellers.

Valued Contributor

Oh my gosh, James Garner was my all time favorite actor. Loved him, he was such a good actor and sooo handsome!💕

Honored Contributor

That is so nifty, @Annabellethecat66!

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

@Oznell - Thanks for the information on "Julie".   I will have to watch it again, but it is rarely shown.

I really liked "Julie". It was kind of odd they chose DD for this, but boy it sure worked. I used to get Julie and Midnight Lace mixed up in my mind 'cause I knew they were both thrillers. Midnight Lace wins, tho. That was a terrific movie. I can still hear that little voice. Ewww....

@Judaline - Yes - that voice in Midnight Lace was creepy! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 - wow - your correspondence with that author is definitely worth saving.

There is one autograph I have that I know for sure is authentic - Tom Jones.  My friend was a member of his fan club and was able to go backstage after his show.  I asked her to get me a signed picture if possible.  He signed it right in front of her, so I know it's real. HaHa - a souvenir from my youth!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Regular Contributor

Loved last night's TCM lineup. I unfortunately fell asleep during Hoodlum Priest, but caught all of the previous showings.

My husband and I watched The Thrill of it All together- so interesting to see the sets and costumes and to see how much has changed and how much remains the same. In this movie I was struck by the outright references to baby-making, so I'm surprised someone upthread characterized the movie as something you could take your kids to see. I don't disagree, but kids 9 and older would definitely pick up on the titilating references.

Glad to see women have moved on from having to decide between caring for our families and having a career.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinsister wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 - wow - your correspondence with that author is definitely worth saving.

There is one autograph I have that I know for sure is authentic - Tom Jones.  My friend was a member of his fan club and was able to go backstage after his show.  I asked her to get me a signed picture if possible.  He signed it right in front of her, so I know it's real. HaHa - a souvenir from my youth!!

I have the author Rosemary Rogers somewhere. She wrote romantic fiction when I was in that phase. She signed it in front of me. I think it's in my book, too. I used to have Roy Rogers, lol. I love Roy Rogers. (no relation to Rosemary!)

Honored Contributor

I'm trying to remember how they phrased it, @Maudlynn, but I can't recall anything that would be unseemly for kids then or now to hear.  I was distracted during the film, so might have missed it?