Respected Contributor

Admittedly I watch a lot of Datelines, 48 Hours, etc.

I've only recently begun to watch the crime stories on 20/20, and most have been narrated by either Deborah Roberts and John Quiñones.

So what annoys me? They never look at the camera! 

While narrating, they look off to the side, as if they're speaking to someone, but it's US they're addressing.

I want to say 'Hey, over here!'

Give me Keith Morrison or Paula Zahn. At least they direct their narration and story telling to the viewing audience.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, does it bug you too?

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does this annoy you too?

Interesting observation. This is a trend in videography that first came around 5 or 6 years ago. We produced some videos where I work and I argued with some of our marketing folks that that was a very bad idea. They insisted that it was a cool thing to do now (LOL). I still don't care for it when I see any broadcaster doing that. 

Honored Contributor

The narrator is NOT part of the story, but an observer...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Admittedly I watch a lot of Datelines, 48 Hours, etc.

I've only recently begun to watch the crime stories on 20/20, and most have been narrated by either Deborah Roberts and John Quiñones.

So what annoys me? They never look at the camera! 

While narrating, they look off to the side, as if they're speaking to someone, but it's US they're addressing.

I want to say 'Hey, over here!'

Give me Keith Morrison or Paula Zahn. At least they direct their narration and story telling to the viewing audience.

Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, does it bug you too?

@sabatini It annoys me when people post titles that don't tell you what the post is about.  

Trusted Contributor

Noticed it. Not annoyed.

I never believe they are literally talking to me personally. I'm not expecting eye contact, so I'm not compelled to command anyone on TV "hey, over here"! I intellectually  understand that they might be talking to someone unseen by the camera and yet I can still follow the story or anything they're saying. It's TV, not a live stage play. 

Honored Contributor

I've noticed it and wonder why they film it like that but it really doesn't bother me.  I know they're talking just to me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We watch those programs and it doesn't annoy us because apparently we've never noticed.

For sure I will be paying more attention next time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch those too, but hadn't  noticed, now I won't be able to not notice. What annoys me is the drawing out of the story to make what should be a half hour into an hour. Tha other annoyance is Keith's tone.  

Valued Contributor

@sabatini 

Yes, it's annoying.   Especially when they are in mid sentence and go to this side view commentary.  It's like the person is not looking at the "red light" that lets them know which camera is on them. 

But then again, I never understood the portraits where people are looking off into space either. 

Honored Contributor

I watch the true crime shows on the ID channel. Joe Kenda is my favorite. He's an ex-detective and tells the story as it happened. He also had a show previously where an actor played his part. Either way, they are great and he narrates the newer ones and he is so down to earth. Love when they find the culprit and he says, 'well, my my my.' (You had to be there to dig him)