Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone over 50 genuinely like rap?

Yes. Enough that my favorite rapper was DMX.

Esteemed Contributor

I never did like rap; age has nothing to do with this. It never was my style of music. 

One reason I didn't care about the singing in "Hamilton." I watched some videos to check out the musical and thought it's overhyped. Just don't get the appeal. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Well...it's been around since I was in my 30's...didn't like it then either. 

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I never did like rap; age has nothing to do with this. It never was my style of music. 

One reason I didn't care about the singing in "Hamilton." I watched some videos to check out the musical and thought it's overhyped. Just don't get the appeal. 

Same.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl wrote:

Hate it. And don't get it when rappers call themselves "artists".

Or for that matter when anyone refers to a rapper as an "artist". 

They are not an "artist", they are just a rapper. In my not so humble opinion of course.

Yes. I feel same when they call it "poetry." And I know everyone here who loves rap can defend all the rhyming that way, It's just not to me. In my 30's I wanted it to "go away"...it hasn't. So I guess it's not going anywhere...#tunedouttoit.

Although...I wanted disco to go away...and well....maybe there is hope. Everything does have it's lifecycle I suppose.

Long live Rock, country, blues, songs with melodies and great lyrics..✌️🎶

...somebody somewhere just rolled their eyes and said..."ok Boomer." 🤣🙄

Valued Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@depglass wrote:

Its on the Today show right now and its really getting on my nerves.  There, relief, thank you, CNN.  Also the new Applebee's commercial is a bit rappy.  We rockers and easy listening people are being put out to pasture.  

Did you see the audience? Why does music by an artist have to appeal to people over 50?

I think this person was only expressing a personal opinion.  Everthing is cyclical. My parents grew up with big band music and thought rock was garbage.  However music evolves in the future, 30 years from now today's teens/young adults will probably say THAT music is junk and long for the good old days of rap. 

Honored Contributor

Yes I must say that I do but it faith based rap.  Toby Mac's Lose My Soul as me dancing  while driving in my car just as much as my high school favorites of Boston, More Than A Feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHKdhAZ9hU

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Age has nothing to do with it.  It's just what you like or don't like.  I've never liked country or folk music, at any age.

I am 60, and I loved the old school rap where I could actually understand the words and the feelings that come from it.  Tupac, Queen Latifa, MC Lyte, DMX, The Roots, LL Cool J, Common, Missy Elliot, Eve, etc.  Today, I can still rap every word along to the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" from 1979 -- and the entire song is over 15 minutes long! Smiley Very Happy

But I do think, in general, that recent rap is absolutely horrible.  That's just my opinion.  It sounds like mouth jumble-mumble, has no story to tell, and is only marketed to have shock value, which is no value to me at all. 

So I will never over-generalize real rap music, for the stuff I've been hearing, or avoiding, in the past decade or more. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass  no, rap is really not my choice often at all, but I have lived any number of trends in popular music by now.  Anyone else remember the adult uproar in mid-century when Elvis dominated the radio?  Ten years later, the Beetles took over-- in both cases I remember the objections being more to appearance than to the actual music.  By the time we got to heavy metal, I was out of it so totally that today I have to admit that I can't name one artist or group that prevailed.

Finally, is anyone surprised that my car Sirius is tuned to only the Fifties and Sixties for music?  They can rap all they want. Doesn't mean I have to listen.

Super Contributor

Some of it but not all, it's not all the same. I like bits of most music, I don't limit myself to one genre.