Respected Contributor

Do you remember

[ Edited ]

I am sitting here channel surfing and just came across The Ed Sullivan Show. Remember Topo Gijo the talking mouse puppet.?  remember the comedian John Byner ?  who was famous for immitating Ed Sullivan and other actors?  The show ran from 1948 to 1971. ( I just searched google)  My grandparents used to watch this show every Sunday night. Anyone remember ? I'm sure there are some who remember that show

Esteemed Contributor

Want to watch it again?

See YouTube.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember watching with my family every week.  Loved Topo Gigio.  I just saw a few minutes of it when Tom Jones was singing.

Honored Contributor

We never missed it, Ed had everyone on, rock stars, opera singers, comedians, dancers, and circus acts. It was great !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I think if your over 60 you gotta definitely remember The Ed Sullivan Show.  Every Sunday night at 8pm.  I remember Topo, he was so cute and sweet.  I remember John Byner.  Also Rich Little was on a lot and George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Alan King, Joey Bishop, Rodney Dangerfield, Totie Fields, Phyllis Diller, Joan Rivers - so many comedians.

Who could forget The Beatles in February of '64?  I was 6 years old and I remember.  All the girls SCREAMING.  My crush on Paul, but loved all their music.  So melodic and they were rockin and rollin.  What a great songwriting team - Lennon & McCartney.

I also enjoy all the misc. acts, plate spinners, strength/balancing, dancers, - it was a great variety show. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

Topo Gigio was great!

One of my favorites was the Spinning Plates.  Who remembers those?

spinningplates1.jpg

Honored Contributor

My family was never into watching Ed Sullivan but I have no memory of what we were doing in lieu of watching it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Every Sunday evening my parents watched the Ed Sullivan show.  My sister and I would watch also but being young weren't always thrilled with many of the acts.  When the Beatles, Stones, Dave Clark five, The Animals and so many other greats were on, we were front and center excited and thrilled .  

Steve Allen had a similar show and was on opposite Sullivan for a period of time.  We loved him and laughed hysterically at the many funny things he did on his show.  We preferred watching him and once in awhile my father would put Steve on for us and we would all laugh!!!!!  

Both shows provided much entertainment and great TV watching every Sunday night and it was the one night we. my brother, sister, parents and I shared as a family.  Great memories.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I remember watching with my family every week.  Loved Topo Gigio.  I just saw a few minutes of it when Tom Jones was singing.

OMG Tom Jones !!!

07F04D05-09A8-4CAE-BC68-ADF4CCA38A84.gif

Super Contributor

Ed Sullivan was part of our Saturday night ritual.  I think it was preceded by The Jack Benny Show.  My mom would wash my hair, and then I would sit on the floor in front of her so she cut put curlers in it while we watched Sunday night tv.   There were only three channels back then, which I think was a good thing.  Everyone would have common experiences to talk about on Monday morning.  So many good Ed Sullivan memories!