Honored Contributor

Do you remember the first Planet of the Apes movie with Charleton Heston?

I loved that!!!  I was blown away when that movie came out and how it was followed up by I think it was 2 other Planet of the Apes sequels.  

Do you remember how you felt about that movie?  and the next to come? The ones now are animated of sorts.

I did like the film of Mark Walberg with the animal/people in that one.  That's always fun to watch when it comes on.  Good actors in it.

How'd you like the apes movies?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you remember the first Planet of the Apes movie with Charleton Heston?

I do remember the first Planet of the Apes movie and loved it as I loved the sequels which followed.  I am a horror and Sci Fi movie fan so these type of movies are always on my radar with the exception of the gory slasher movies.

When these movies came out they were unique, different and popular.  Of course the first is always the best for me and it was such an interesting concept.  At the end when Heston and the woman see the part of the Statue of Liberty in the forbidden zone, it hits home!  That was a stand out for me.  

As the movies continued each one was as good as the last and I still love the series to this day.  I agree with you!  They still are in in a category of their own, a good place!

Respected Contributor

Yes, saw it at the Drive In Movie and was shocked at the ending.

Honored Contributor

I saw the original and loved it.  Don't think I've seen any of the ones that came after.  And it's just as well - the original would be hard to beat.  The romance between Charlton Heston's character and Zira was kind of weird, but it was science fiction after all.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I've never seen any of them.  I think I assumed it was some sort of campy B-movie and don't remember anyone saying they liked it.   I didn't bother to check it out.

Respected Contributor

Yep sure do! Loved it...still do.  The girl who played Nova is from my hub's very small hometown. We ride by her parent's house well maybe her house now on our way to the beach.  She opened a little boutique after she came back from LA and I think it's still there, as is she.  Comes from a very wealthy, prominent family in the area. They owned everything.

Respected Contributor

I remember the Music if you could call it that.  But it DID ste the tone of the movie. 

I thought the actors in the ape masks didi a very good job acting and expressing emotions under all that makeup. Go Roddy!

I came late to the newer series and I think they made a good choice geting Andy Sirkis to play Ceasar.  He's made a living out of acting with his whole body. 

Seeing the old story from a different slant caught my interest.  Also that end credit with the map showing how the virus spread in the movie made short sweet work of explaining how another virus could spread around the world should one care to think about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed the first Film, but what I remember most is the ending. In my opinion, it's one of the best film endings ever. What a shock!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  I was 13 in 1968. I do remember that movie....and I did go see the second one too.

The movie I LOVED That came out in the same year was Romeo and Juliet with Olivia Hussy as Juliet and  Leonard Whiting as Romeo.  I probably went to see that movie with my best friend 20 times! We knew every word and acted out the scenes...we were OBSESSED 😄

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The original Planet of the Apes scared the sh-t out of me as a kid! I thought apes taking over and humans in cages could really happen. When Heston ran binto the museum and saw his friend, stuffed, is a classic scene. And of course the ending freaked me out. Best line of the movie, "Get your hands off me, you d-mned dirty ape!!"  Of course I watch it now and am no longer scared. (But still, could it happen?)