Honored Contributor

Re: Do you miss watching soaps (except for the one or two left)?

I watched The Doctors, Days of our Lives, Another World, and General Hospital.   At that time we used a TV antenna and only received 2 channels.   In 1999 we switched to satellite TV programming, and once I had more programming available, I lost all interest in soap operas.   Walked away and never looked back.   

Honored Contributor

oops.......almost forgot......i watched SEARCH FOR TOMORROW also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have never watched a soap. Yuk.

Honored Contributor

Once upon a time, I use to enjoy the stories. Then I couldn't watch them due to work. The part I missed was seeing them at holiday time, all the glamour and clothes and jewelry. It seemed to be a party all the time. They always had champagne in their hands.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up on GH. And while my soap is still on, it's not GH. I'm almost sad I didn't get my show taken away too. When you identify too much with the alcoholic lush character as what you do to get through watching an episode, you know there is a problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't know why they took off All My Children.  I now watch Days and can't believe how lame it is.

Honored Contributor

I ALWAYS had at least one soap going, even when I was working. I juggled Days and AMC simultaneously, survived the peanut butter pancakes disaster, and was absolutely crushed when AMC and ATWT were taken off the air.

I'm presently attempting to get into GH, but it's actually surprisingly difficult because soap plots DO move faster now than in the '80's and '90's.

I sure do with I could let go of my old "friends" as easily as some of you folks have!

Esteemed Contributor

I miss them. I use to watch As the World Turns and Guiding Light since my son was a baby. He will be 59 this week. I only keep the tv on for noise and company. I am not interested in the stars lives. The news I look at but sick of the accidents and death. I should do housework but sick of that too.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to watch Guiding Light, As The World Turns,  and loved the episodes....when they got canceled i started watching the Young & the Restless which i still DVR and watch at my convenience..........years back i watched General Hospital (w/Steve Hardy & Jesse) but then stopped but got back into this soap about 2 years ago............with all the horrible talk shows, lame sitcoms, etc.  I find soaps are 

more quality programming (weird storylines...haha)  but definitly  a nice escape for an hour to unwind before getting back to reality...ha.

Honored Contributor

I really don't. They changed, I changed and the world changed and what used to engross me years ago stopped being as compelling. I was weaned on the NBC soaps (Days, Doctors, Another World and the myriad of short termers like Somerset, Bright Promise and so on) then I stopped watching altogether. When I went back to watching several years later, it was the CBS soaps, Y&R, Capitol/BB, ATWT and GL... I stuck with them for years and then walked away again... Just a year or so ago I started watching Y&R again and it really is enough for me.

They just don't write or produce them like they used to. I also think that what was 'cutting edge' when I started watching wouldn't seem titillating today because pretty much nothing would seem titillating today... The various forms of media have left no holds barred... I think that if soaps got back to relationships, family units (of whatever type) and interactions between characters they might recapture some of their lost audience... All the forays into the supernatural, big business intrigue, plot-driven and 'disaster flick' sorts of stories and 'in the news' plot devices appear to have driven away more traditional soap viewers, which might well be a dying breed, anyway...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...