Valued Contributor

Do you miss watching soaps (except for the one or two left)?

I watched All My Children for years, and thought when they ended it and several others, I would miss it so much. Well, I did, but now I am used to not having it.  I'm not sure I would want to be "chained" to it like before. How about you? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you miss watching soaps (except for the one or two left)?

I have one I have watched for decades. It is the longest running soap on tv. It started in 1960. I have been able to watch it since the 70's  ,Its from the UK ,and I watch it on a Canadian tv station. I hope it never ends

It's not like and American soap it moves very fast and there is lots of humor in it.

Trusted Contributor

I loved All My Children and watched it for years. I taped it to watch when I got home from work.  I was disappointed when it ended, but life goes on :-D 

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom Yes!  I miss more soaps.  I used to like to watch All My Children, Guiding Light and As the World Turns.  Then with some of them those stupid Dr shows had to have a place to go and that's when (in my area) they did away with the soaps so the Dr shows (which incidentally are now gone) should be on......

It is fun watching soaps.  I doubt though that the soaps as we know them will ever be back (in full force).  It's funny now because they used to be considered 'racy' now look at what you see on regular TV, forget cable shows!

Soap actors get a bad name and it's not fair.  They aren't allowed more than 1 take and have to know many lines each day.  They're on every day (5 days a week) not like those shows that are on for 1 day and then they're only on every now and then (maybe 10 episodes and then they break for Winter, Summer whatever)...again...UGH!

Trusted Contributor

Do the evening soaps count? I'm speaking of Dallas, Dynasty and Melrose Place. I enjoyed those shows very much.

@cherry- are you speaking of Coronation Street?

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Do the evening soaps count? I'm speaking of Dallas, Dynasty and Melrose Place. I enjoyed those shows very much.

@sandraskates  yes I am. I love that program

Honored Contributor

there are actually four left on tv.

i still watch the young and the restless and thebold  and the beautiful and have for many years now.

i was one of those college students that scheduled my classes around the soaps i liked. LOL.......as the world turns and capitol......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I loved watching Dallas and Dynasty.  Would never leave my house on those nights (this is before VCRs!) So I purchased all 14 seasons of Dallas plus the two  follow- ups of what happed to JR at the end and the  reunion movie and spent the last few months watching it.  Oh what fun!  I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed watching this show after all these years.  I did not realize how bad some of the acting was with some of the minor actors and the clothes!! OMG those shoulder pads - the women looked like football players.  My DH asked if I will be giving this set away now that I am through and I said no way!  In a few years I will watch it all over again.  I am now going to start on Dynasty.  I just love getting up early on a cold morning, getting my coffee and cuddling back in bed to watch these shows.   

Respected Contributor

I started watching "The Young and the Restless" and "As the World Turns" with my grandmother in 1984.  I added "The Bold and the Beautiful" when it started in the late 80's.  I would go to her house, which was near my college to eat lunch after classes.  I would watch the shows wtih her and then leave to go to work at my part time job at a daycare center.  My granny has been gone 15 years and had Alzheimer's for 10 years before she passed away.  I miss those times with her but I cherish the memories and the laughter each day, more than I do the shows.  I am down to "Y&R" only when I am off work and able to watch.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@chihuahuamom Yes!  I miss more soaps.  I used to like to watch All My Children, Guiding Light and As the World Turns.  Then with some of them those stupid Dr shows had to have a place to go and that's when (in my area) they did away with the soaps so the Dr shows (which incidentally are now gone) should be on......

It is fun watching soaps.  I doubt though that the soaps as we know them will ever be back (in full force).  It's funny now because they used to be considered 'racy' now look at what you see on regular TV, forget cable shows!

Soap actors get a bad name and it's not fair.  They aren't allowed more than 1 take and have to know many lines each day.  They're on every day (5 days a week) not like those shows that are on for 1 day and then they're only on every now and then (maybe 10 episodes and then they break for Winter, Summer whatever)...again...UGH!

Oh my goodness, I watched the Guiding Light, As The World Turns.  I also watched a soap called the Doctors, which by the way comes on Retro tv.  I still remember some of the characters.  I loved watching soaps growing up.  Young and the Restless one of my favorites.  I use to tape Days when Marlena came back, well one of her come backs. LOL