Frequent Contributor

Re: Do you have SiriusXM radio?

We have SiriusXM radio in our car and we love it. But we only pay for the channels that we listen to which is all music. If you don't listen to all the channels that are available, they have plans that only include certain channels.

Contributor

I have it, and I LOVE it. We, too, tried it first with a new car. Terrific on road trips. Never at the mercy of reception of am/fm channels.  I have at least a dozen stations i regularly listen to. In the late fall the Christmas channels start up and I can listen to Christmas music to my heart's content. Husband uses it on his computer at work, i use my computer at home. We have not purchased a radio. We are on our second year.

Honored Contributor

I had it for a number of years but not now.  It was easy to quit and I'm not harassed.  From time-to-time they'll send a renewal offer via snail mail.  It's a very good deal - tempting, to be sure.

I think I'd enjoy it more if I did a lot of long distance car trips.  I don't, and enjoy local radio when I'm driving locally.  The MLB package is nice too - broadcasts of all major league games every night.  I was into that for a while - nice to be able to listen in on games from other cities - but not so much now.

Once XM merged with Sirius, and after a required period when they had to hold rates steady, they started to increase rates on a regular basis and add new charges.  Shades of cable TV!  I was happy to drop it.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If so, do you think it is worth paying for? Did you purchase a radio? We gave a three month free subscription that came with our car. I would like to have on a portable radio.

I listen to my local NPR station or connect my iPhone to the car audio system and listen to podcasts, audio books, and my own music in my car. I like the options available on Sirius, but I didn't want to spend the money when I wouldn't listen much.

That said, I once spent three days driving from San Francisco to Austin, Texas. There were long stretches where there were few options, including a few hours where the only stations that came in were playing mariachi music or a fire and brimstone preacher. I like mariachi music, but not for hours at a time. This was before iPhones, but I vowed then that if I ever made that trip again, I would get SiriusXM for 3 months just to have it on that trip.

If you go on a lot of road trips where radio reception will be sketchy, I'd recommend it.

Sirius does make radios for use in the home, so you can still check on that if you want. You can also listen with a computer. With a computer, smart phone, or tablet, you can have Siruis XM anywhere you want. I'd get a bluetooth speaker for better sound quality, but that's better than spending money on a stand-alone Sirius radio.They also make apps for smart phones and tablets, so if you have one of those, you can listen on that with a bluetooth speaker and not buy a special radio. You will still need a sirius subscription.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

I have it in my car and home. I've had it for years and love it!  A small amount to pay for any genre of music without commercials. 

@Reba055  Did you have to purchase a seperate account for having it in home? What I am asking is  IF I pay to have it in my car....can that signal also go to a radio in my home? Or are they seperate signals and two different accounts.

It's the same account, but an additional radio on your account, and an additional fee. You do get a discount for the additional radio. 

Depending on your situation, getting the right set up in your home can be interesting. If you are going to use just a portable radio, I suppose that is simple enough. Ours runs through our receiver. Some of the smaller entertainment systems have it preinstalled. We are really into music and sound so we have a sound system with multiple components. I was suprised to find that many high end receivers don't have anything built in for SiriusXM. If that's what you intend to do, I would suggest talking to someone at Best Buy. Even then, some aren't that knowledgeable. Our set up wasn't all that easy, but thank goodness my hubby figured it out. Unless things have recently changed, there's not much info online and SiriusXM was less than helpful with that particular issue. You do have to be able to receive the signal inside your home. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Love xm - we've had it for years.  Maybe if you're not in the car for long stretches it wouldn't be worth it.  At home we use free pandora. 

Just got a new car in December and the salesman told me to not accept SiriusXM's first 'offer' when the 3 month trial is up - he says they'll lower it.  We plan to try that and see what happens.

and for some reason I was forced to choose a new user name.  weird.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

If so, do you think it is worth paying for? Did you purchase a radio? We gave a three month free subscription that came with our car. I would like to have on a portable radio.

Our Siruis XM radio came with a one year free subscription.  I just renewed it for 4 months last week at a special rate.

I don't think it's "all that"!  In fact, I'm slightly disappointed.  I like it mostly if we go on a long trip.

I prefer downloading my fav songs on my iphone and can listen to songs through my car's radio.

A friend told me to NOT give them my credit card #.  It's too easy for them to automatically charge a renewal (in the fine print) and then I'm the one that has to deal with disconnecting it. 

I got an offer for $220 per year after my trial one year period. Not worth it at all and I would never renew for that ridiculous price. 

I got $32 for 4 months and I mailed them a check.  The only way I will renew is if I get a steal of a deal.

Bottom line, I can easily live without it.

Trusted Contributor

You can look on retailmenot for a coupon code.  Usually, it's 6 months for 25 dollars (plus taxes and fees, which is about 10 dollars).  My mom got a free trial with her car and really liked it.  She's called a few times now with a coupon code and they've accepted it.  If they didn't accept it she would have to decide whether to pay full price or cancel with the hopes they will woo her back.  You have to keep on top of it and know when your six months are up, otherwise you get sent a full-price bill.  You also have to tell them to not keep your credit card on file.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

You can look on retailmenot for a coupon code.  Usually, it's 6 months for 25 dollars (plus taxes and fees, which is about 10 dollars).  My mom got a free trial with her car and really liked it.  She's called a few times now with a coupon code and they've accepted it.  If they didn't accept it she would have to decide whether to pay full price or cancel with the hopes they will woo her back.  You have to keep on top of it and know when your six months are up, otherwise you get sent a full-price bill.  You also have to tell them to not keep your credit card on file.

You can also pay your bill online at SiriusXM or pay through online banking. That's what I do. 

Honored Contributor

When we bought our car we got a 5 month trial with it.  We didn't renew it.

We got the letter for full price, then 6 months for the price of 4 and just last week it was 6 months for the price of 3.

We aren't in the car for long trips and it wasn't worth it for us.