Honored Contributor

Re: Do you get a kick out of the clothes in old movies? I do.

In "Rear WIndow" when Grace Kelly takes the nightie out of her handbag ahhhhhh!.

Honored Contributor

I loved the way they dressed curvy women, dresses fit nice and very classy. Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russel.  Dresses were very nice.  Always liked the heels, never too high

I like the flowy pants Katerine Hepburn would wear.  

Frequent Contributor

I love the cars in the old movies.  It is like seeing a  classic car show!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I had heard  somewhere yrs ago that  back in the day Carey Grant & Mae West were a hot couple - she helped his career.

Trusted Contributor

There is so much to love about those fashions - I love the shoulder pads, the impeccably-tailored suits, the details on outfits, perfect manicured nails, glossy hairdos, gorgeous pumps...the clutch handbags.  "Laura" is a good one....I'd love to have her apartment! So feminine.

Respected Contributor

I love watching TCM. The clothes were incredible!  I loved how the hats matched the suits/dresses, the gloves, handbags and shoes all coordinated. I always got a kick out of the dinner scenes when all the women wore gowns and lots of jewels and the men were in black tie.  Also loved how the men dressed.  The suits, hats, trench coats, etc.  just stunning.  I also noticed how incredibly small waisted these women were and super thin but they all looked so natural and feminine, not like today when everything (and I mean everything) is cosmetically enlarged and looks hideous.  As a posted mentioned above, I also loved looking at all the taxis and cars.  The only modern show I enjoy watching these days and especially the clothing is The Amazing Mrs. Maizel.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have always been fond of Doris Day and love how she dressed in all her movies.

Valued Contributor

Anything designed by Robert Kalloch, Adrian, Orry-Kelly

And Oleg Cassini, Oleg also designed for 1st. Lady

Jackie Kennedy. 

Honored Contributor

Watching some of the early Perry Masons I noticed that the sheath dresses look very much like the ones Marissa wears on Bull.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Women were sp much smaller with tiny waists back in the old days... The clothes were so tailored and fitted... to those tiny waists... and beautiful too. I think women were just more naturally beautiful back then.

@SeaMaiden, I agree with you. It also seems that faces were more unique, not homogenized with the cosmetic surgeries of today.

I recall reading an article where older models were commenting on how back-in-the-day, they were natural, not manufactured.

My mom used to tell me about the thick, wavy gorgeous hair that girls had when she was growing up in the 20s and 30s. She spoke of a girl who had the most glorious, shiny, taffy colored hair, and would say 'you just don't see hair like that anymore'.

Today, they have extensions!

Muddling through...