Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you get a kick out of the clothes in old movies? I do.

I love Ingrid Bergman's wardrobe in Casablanca. The clothing is so classic and timeless we could wear it today.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

Yes, I love looking at the fashion.  One of my favorite "slinky" actresses is Jean Harlow in "Dinner at Eight."

Jean Harlow DINNER AT EIGHT 1933 | Hollywood Pinups Color Prints

Then, there is Laren Bacall in "To Have and Have Not."

LAUREN BACALL in TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT -1944-. Photograph by Album | Pixels

Respected Contributor

I've alwayus admired women's fashions in movies from the 1930's.

Here's a pic of the technicolor fashion show that was in the 1939 movie The Women.

image.png

Here's a pic from another part of the 1939 movie The Women.

image.png

And here's a pic of Jean Harlow

image.png

Honored Contributor

I like watching old movies and love the fashions too! 

My favorites...

Love Grace Kelley's outfits in "Rear Window" and "To Catch a Thief". I also like Ingrid Bergman's clothes in "Casablanca" & "Notorious". 

Honored Contributor

I am always aware of the settings especially when the homes are formal and elegant, the environment is at NY,  the furnishings and decor in each movie.  I find the settings to be a most important part of the movie.  Also I do enjoy the fashions especially from the forties and fifties, Doris Day and Grace Kelly, always such a beautiful wardrobe!  

It isn't only the acing and story line, it is so much more that makes the movie great for me.

Trusted Contributor

I love the hats, the shoulder pads and the fur capes and stoles.

My grandmother had a little mink stole with the mink's head on it. It had glass eyes and the mouth was on a clip to keep the stole on.

Her hats had veils and a little fabric covered circle to attach hair pins to keep the hat on and at a rakish angle.

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I think the clothes Audrey Hepburn wears in Sabrinia (after she comes back from Paris) are so lovely.

I have lately been watching Perry Mason reruns- now that is another story. The hats are hideous. Clothes not too bad. Makeup outrageous.

I recently watched Perry Mason, & you're right about hats & makeup.  I never saw anyone wearing  hats like those in the 60's.  Also, just about every woman has exactly the same eye liner.  Their waists are frightening small, also.  But my favorite thing to watch are the cars, some of which are stunning!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also love the girls' suits. They always wore a notched collared blouse underneath. I just love the look. I've tried to duplicate it but it doesn't work. They just don't make those blouses anymore.

There's a movie (newer) with Goldie Hawn called Swing Shift. She plays a gal in the 40s who works in a factory. Her clothes!!!! (when she isn't working!) I would love any one or all of them. I got the designer's name from the credits but he/she obviously just made Goldie's wardrobe-doesn't do 40s. Woman Sad

Don't forget the snoods they put their hair into!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I notice the clothes and the houses.  But my husband notices the ladies hats.  He said they had some crazy looking hats back then.

One thing I do notice is that most of the women in the vintage movies had servants.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager "Stairs played important roles in a great many of Bette's films:"

Image result for whatever happened to baby jane stairs pictures

This is my favorite stair picture of Bette. Smiley Very Happy