Honored Contributor

Re: Do you get a kick out of the clothes in old movies? I do.

@skatting44   You know, I've only seen 1 Mae West movie.  I believe a young Gary Grant was in it.  He wasn't famous then.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Ooo,I always notice the wardrobe and jewelry.  Didn't realize the women didn't wear bras, but should've realized that by the style of some of the gowns.

Honored Contributor

Women were sp much smaller with tiny waists back in the old days... The clothes were so tailored and fitted... to those tiny waists... and beautiful too. I think women were just more naturally beautiful back then.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden : Naturally beautiful would definitely be incorrect. The ladies wore girdles, corsets, seriously engineered brassieres and pancake makeup. There were also elaborate hairdos.

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

I love seeing the fashion, but I can't imagine how much time and energy would have been spent on dressing, hair, and cosmetics.  Or washing those clothes. 

@Mz iMac In the old b&w movies of the 30s & early 40s, females did not wear bras.  Younger actresses jiggled all across the screen while "older" actresses juggled. Smiley LOL - OMG you made me laugh this morning. 

I enjoy viewing the fashions . wouldn't want to wear them though.

@cindyNC "or washing those clothes"-- don't forget ironing those clothes. As a grade 'schooler' in the late 50s I remember seeing my mother's friends with ironing boards, baskets of clothes to be ironed , bulky ironing boards & irons. Overhearing them say to my mother --it just never ends, does it ?Smiley Happy

I feel some of the hairstyles aged women compared to today. The blow dryer (ty Vidal Sasoon) and modern cuts of today are so much younger looking IMO. 

@Mz iMac  today the correct bra can help the 'uplift' for fuller busted and older consumer, but cannot stop us from a return home and turning the girls back to their natural state and the 'ahh' that is voiced. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I loved the night club scenes. The women dazzled in their evening gowns with sequin trim. Cigarette holders added charm. There was always a girl singer with a gorgeous long dress. They all wore long dresses at night.

I used to love the hairstyles in the movies with WACS. It was kind of rolled up, all the way around. Can't describe it.
Loved Carole Lombard's satiny full pants with matching tops. So glamourous.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the old movies and TCM is my most watched channel.

The fashions are my favorite. I love the crisp suits, pumps that don't look like torture devices, and wide shoulders in the 1940s movies. Always pulled together. The 1930s had its own fashions and I also love the looser, feminine outfits and the marcelled hair.

Art Deco backgrounds are the best!  

Art Deco in the movies

Art Deco in the movies

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

And a shoutout to the stunning backdrop art:

ObjectsInFilm: Object #67 - Log - King Kong (1933)

Dorothy and friends finally arive at the end of the yellow… | Flickr

Esteemed Contributor

Love the 30's and 40's.......the dressy dresses and gorgeous suits

Honored Contributor

I think the clothes Audrey Hepburn wears in Sabrinia (after she comes back from Paris) are so lovely.

I have lately been watching Perry Mason reruns- now that is another story. The hats are hideous. Clothes not too bad. Makeup outrageous.