Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you ever wonder what Reality stars earn?

Don’t care. “Reality”  Faux reality is more like it. (If reality, why the need for writers, fake set-ups, games etc.  

Ridiculous shows with ridiculous, attention-seeking

celeb-wanna-bes. 

Honored Contributor

Enough that Mama June won't stop struggling to get Honey Boo Boo back on the air.  Once they get used to the easy money, it's hard to give up.  Just look at Kate and the eight.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Has that show returned ? Mama June .

Honored Contributor

I've never spent much time wondering what they earn, but occasionally I have wondered why thousands of people watch some of them over and over again. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only reality shows I watch are Dancing With The Stars and The Voice.  I've read what the celebrities on Dancing With The Stars make, but I don't remember.  I have no idea what the contestants on The Voice make, but that would be kind of interesting to know.  As far as the other shows, I'll bet none of them make anywhere close to what the Kardashians make.

Edited to say:  I just looked it up, and The Voice contestants don't get paid.  They get a stipend for their expenses.  That doesn't seem fair considering how necessary they are for a successful show!

I also looked up American Idol contestants, and they did get paid. The top 10 also did the tour after the show and got paid for that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SAG/AFTRA decide if you're "talent" or not.  In general, you are a "contestant" on most shows.  The example I read is William Hung from American Idol.  When he was a contestant, he was not considered "talent" and not covered by SAG/AFTRA and didn't get scale wages.   So whatever agreement he signed with the producers of the show was what he was covered under as a contestant.  However, when he was making the talk show rounds and came back to make a cameo on a show like SNL, he became "talent" and gets singer scale.

The producers own you on these shows.  The Kardashians make most of their money from their product lines and endorsements.  I'm sure in season 1 the K's made next to nothing.  But their popularity allowed them to negotiate more money and probably production rights, etc.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Some you can find if you start by googling.

Honored Contributor

I looked up some of the Housewives long ago and some made much more than others. I read that Mama June is coming back. She couldn't wait to get back on tv could she?

Respected Contributor

Kate Gosselin made a boatload of money.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Some you can find if you start by googling.

Yes, we know. That's how everyone finds out everything. Google has been around for a long time. If anyone doesn't know that, then, I just don't know what to say.