Honored Contributor

Do you ever wonder what Reality stars earn?

[ Edited ]

Little People, Big World has been on for many, many years now.  I know the Kardashians make millions for their shows.  I was just wondering what these other people make for their shows -- The Little Couple, The Johnstons and many others.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you ever wonder what Reality stars earn?

Too much?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They make a lot of money. 

The longer they stay on and the higher the ratings, the more money they're able to negotiate.   A lot of them start businesses and other ventures because of their popularity. 

Esteemed Contributor

Probably enough money to get by. They probably get greedier and greedier each season as the popularity grows.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  What do "Suvivor" people get for all those days in the rain, dirt, bugs and cold with hardly any food?

DH looked up another show (which one???) and couldn't find out the pay.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine has a sister in law was on the wife swap show.  She and her family were paid about 40 thousand dollars be on.

I asked him why anyone would want to invite cameras into their home and have their life in public display, and he said they needed the money really bad and were close to bankruptcy.

For the life of me I can figure out why people who are not financially broke would want to do this.  I know it’s not for me, and no one would watch anyway, too boring.

Honored Contributor

No

Honored Contributor

I would guess it depends on the reality show.  I think initally when some of the shows start off, the people on it aren't making that much money but as the show becomes more popular, the stars can negotiate a better contract. 

Honored Contributor

Not at all. 

I can honestly say I've never watched any Reality show, unless What Not to Wear qualfies as Reality.  But - I stopped watching that a couple of years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't think the "Hoarders" and "600 lb." people, are exactly "stars".....  I don't think they make much money.  I do think TLC probaby pays for their transportaion to and from the doctors offices and the "Hoarder" shows probably get their houses cleaned out just once for the show.  After that, they probably are on their own.

I'll bet "The Little Couple" makes a fair amount from TLC.  She is a professional and I'll bet she named her own price.   Why else would they expose themselves and their children if it wasn't worth it?

I don't know what the guests on shows like Dr. Phil, get paid.  They don't give their whole names or where they live - but I just know they are recognized by friends and family, right?