Super Contributor

Re: Do You (or Would You) Buy A Product Simply Because A Celebrity Is In The Commercial?

I think it is sad that some "former stars" are in questionable commercials lately. Fonzie and Fred Thompson,the DA from Law & Order and a former US Senator, trying to sell the benefits of a Reverse Mortgage come to mind. Or Lisa Rinna selling Depends.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You (or Would You) Buy A Product Simply Because A Celebrity Is In The Commercial?

Lisa, does she wear them?

Honored Contributor

Not even.

Super Contributor

I enjoy Peyton Manning's commercials too. I enjoy a well made commercial. Especially a commercial that makes me laugh.

But I do remember, OP, the days when the merits of the merchandise were the feature of the commercial And even as a young woman I enjoyed learning about a new product. I have never thought about buying a product simply because a celebrity uses it.

Honored Contributor

I agree Happy, there are some that I enjoy. They are funny and interesting. Sometimes I'll hear (like Julia Robert's voice, forget the thing she talk about) her voice and I'm so tuned into listening and trying to figure out who's voice that is, I don't even know what she's selling.

Why would I use that company as an investor just because she's telling me to? Most people who have money to invest are smarter than that.

I invest all of my money with Smith Barney Investments. My late husband used them and he's like my son. So I would think most people go over to who or what they know not just because Julia Roberts says so.

Super Contributor

I am not influenced to buy anything because of a commercial whether it has a celebrity spokesperson or not. I do drive a Chrysler 300 but have driven the brand for years.

Respected Contributor

No, I am not that dumb. These companies that use a celebrity and paying them big bucks are wasting their money.

Respected Contributor

NO!

Honored Contributor

I definitely wouldn't (in fact it turns me off). However, someone must because these advertisers continue to spend the big bucks.

Isn't that a Chrysler (or is it) that McCaughney is sitting in acting all cool? I thought they were once in trouble financially.

I can't imagine what they paid to have him do that commercial. Just to sit there and look all that cool.

You know, they obviously don't know what most married men (all of the one's I know) and I think (speaking out of turn) many women know. In the end, it's usually the female who decides on the car (my late husband left it up to me when it came to the family car).

He was an investor. He owned a dealer's license. He went to Manheim in Pennsylvania and came home with a different car about every 1 1/2 to 2 months.

I'd drive them and then we'd just sell them. He enjoyed doing it (he'd go with friends who owned dealerships) and I enjoyed driving brand new cars (every make and model).

My only requirement......guess what it was.....I hate red cars! I said, "Never bring home a red car".

What influences you guys on the kind of car you drive? Based on what you say, it's not who's selling the thing. Right?

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 annabellethecat said:

I definitely wouldn't (in fact it turns me off). However, someone must because these advertisers continue to spend the big bucks.

Isn't that a Chrysler (or is it) that McCaughney is sitting in acting all cool? I thought they were once in trouble financially.

I can't imagine what they paid to have him do that commercial. Just to sit there and look all that cool.

You know, they obviously don't know what most married men (all of the one's I know) and I think (speaking out of turn) many women know. In the end, it's usually the female who decides on the car (my late husband left it up to me when it came to the family car).

He was an investor. He owned a dealer's license. He went to Manheim in Pennsylvania and came home with a different car about every 1 1/2 to 2 months.

I'd drive them and then we'd just sell them. He enjoyed doing it (he'd go with friends who owned dealerships) and I enjoyed driving brand new cars (every make and model).

My only requirement......guess what it was.....I hate red cars! I said, "Never bring home a red car".

What influences you guys on the kind of car you drive? Based on what you say, it's not who's selling the thing. Right?

Yes the commercial is for the Chrysler. We buy what we can afford since we tend to keep our cars until they go. My DH won't buy a red car either his belief is that you get pulled over more often. My favorite is a dark grey though my car now is black. I tend to like darker colors and my DH prefers lighter colors.