Honored Contributor

Do You Like Remakes Of Songs?

I rarely like remakes because they rarely measure up to the origonal artist.

I recently became aware of this artist and prefer her version to many origonals!

Lucie Silvas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QohUdrgbD2k

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Like Remakes Of Songs?

No!!

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

I rarely like remakes of songs better than the original.  Sometimes I'll like another version, but very rarely do I like it better than the original.

Last night a similar thing happened with me, though a bit in reverse.  I was watching the second season of The Crown, and they used a version of  "The Wonder of You" in it.  It wasn't Elvis, the voice was different, I didn't recognize it.  Now, I just love Elvis's version, it's one of my favorites of his.  But as this singer finished the song, I had to say, I liked it better.

I looked it up after the show, and the artist was Ronnie Hilton, who I had never heard of, and it was a hit for him in 1959.  I think it was the first time it was recorded, I forget now.  Elvis did his version in 1970.

Ronnie Hilton's style sounded a little dated, the style of his singing made that so.  But his emotion and his phrasing were so effective.  Well, I had to order a CD from Amazon of his hits, so I'll be getting to know more about him.  He sang some other familiar fifties/sixties songs.

I never thought I'd like a version of this song better than Elvis's.

Honored Contributor

Rarely do I like a song remake by another singer because in my opinion the original is always the best and usually done by a legend of song.  There are many singers I love who are in their own category and their voices unique and filled with feeling and style.  For example, Johnny Mathis, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, George Michael, Sarah Vaughn, and the list goes on and on and covers rock and roll, pop, blues and jazz singers.  

Esteemed Contributor

Normally I don’t but I did love both Dolly’s and Whitney’s version of “I will always love you” 

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I rarely like remakes of songs better than the original.  Sometimes I'll like another version, but very rarely do I like it better than the original.

Last night a similar thing happened with me, though a bit in reverse.  I was watching the second season of The Crown, and they used a version of  "The Wonder of You" in it.  It wasn't Elvis, the voice was different, I didn't recognize it.  Now, I just love Elvis's version, it's one of my favorites of his.  But as this singer finished the song, I had to say, I liked it better.

I looked it up after the show, and the artist was Ronnie Hilton, who I had never heard of, and it was a hit for him in 1959.  I think it was the first time it was recorded, I forget now.  Elvis did his version in 1970.

Ronnie Hilton's style sounded a little dated, the style of his singing made that so.  But his emotion and his phrasing were so effective.  Well, I had to order a CD from Amazon of his hits, so I'll be getting to know more about him.  He sang some other familiar fifties/sixties songs.

I just youtubed this. Not bad. I really liked the music-that fiftie's beat, but no, I liked Elvis' better. It was more meaningful sounding and well, let's face it, it was Elvis.

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

Normally I don’t but I did love both Dolly’s and Whitney’s version of “I will always love you” 

Actually, I always thought the best version of this song was Linda Ronstadt's...

Woman Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D090T2MSxKY

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't like any song simply because it is a remake.  Many are way better than the original.  It all depends on what you like in music. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some of them.  One of my favorites is Dwight Yokam's version of Suspicious Minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMaTf0KU0M

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

I just youtubed this. Not bad. I really liked the music-that fiftie's beat, but no, I liked Elvis' better. It was more meaningful sounding and well, let's face it, it was Elvis.

So true.