Occasional Contributor

Re: Do You Like Remakes Of Songs?

Correction to self!!!  -  the Neil Sedaka song i was thinking of is "Breakin' Up is Hard to Do".  sorry 'bout that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG

@chickenbut

Wow.    I wasn't sure at first but as the song went along I was hooked.  Fantastic.  I love the way his voice changes with the words/message of the song.    Thanks for posting.  

I do love S&G duet version too though.   Love the harmony.

And then there is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  Best version ever.  

And Josh Groban's Oh Holy Night.   Another best!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

@ECBG

@chickenbut

Wow.    I wasn't sure at first but as the song went along I was hooked.  Fantastic.  I love the way his voice changes with the words/message of the song.    Thanks for posting.  

I do love S&G duet version too though.   Love the harmony.

And then there is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  Best version ever.  

And Josh Groban's Oh Holy Night.   Another best!!

@Bridgegal

S&G's recording  and this one seem like different songs, they're so unique.  I get a different feeling and understanding from each one.

Josh Groban is just in a class by himself!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

One of my all time favorite songs is Layla, by Eric Clapton when he was with Derek and the Dominos, but almost equally love his later acoustic version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSquiIVLhrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZV7akaSo0s

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

Normally I do not.  For me, some songs are classics and just should not be covered.  Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel was one of them until @chickenbutt turned me on to Disturbed's version and I have to say, I love it.  A completely different take on the song.

@itsmetooThat one is absolutely, shockingly awesome!!!!!    AND then some!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7RVw3I8eg

I just found where Disturbed discusses his performance and the song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoCUpV3Hgw

@ECBG

Isn't that just mindblowing? Especially his performance on Conan (thanks for providing the link, I should have done that).  I still love Simon and Garfunkel's original, I am a huge fan of theirs, but have to say Disturbed knocked it out of the park with his cover.  I think I've listened to it 100x since chickenbutt turned me onto it.

Trusted Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Itsmetoo, Disturbed's version of "The Sounds of Silence" is brilliant and stunning!

When I saw Art Garfunkle in concert last fall, he added some of Disturbed's dimension to his rendition of the song.

@insomniac2

I would never have guessed I'd like a cover of that song because I love Simon and Garfunkel.  Interesting about Garfunkel adding some of Disturbed's take to it.  How was it?  I saw Simon and Garfunkel live in concert and I don't think I would have liked to have head them sing it in any other way than their original.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

Normally I do not.  For me, some songs are classics and just should not be covered.  Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel was one of them until @chickenbutt turned me on to Disturbed's version and I have to say, I love it.  A completely different take on the song.

Thanks for mentioning this piece.  When I read the thread title, this was the song that came to mind for me.  

I am a huge S&G fan, so nothing against them but this version was beautiful in so many additional ways that, at first, I couldn't stop listening to it.    I ended up buying the song for my iPod shortly thereafter and I have the YouTube recording saved so I can go back and watch it.

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

Thanks for mentioning this piece.  When I read the thread title, this was the song that came to mind for me.  

I am a huge S&G fan, so nothing against them but this version was beautiful in so many additional ways that, at first, I couldn't stop listening to it.    I ended up buying the song for my iPod shortly thereafter and I have the YouTube recording saved so I can go back and watch it.

@chickenbutt

I also bought the song after you posted about it awhile ago and still go back and watch it on YouTube too!  My favorite is his performance on Conan.  I still love S & G's too.

Respected Contributor

Itsmetoo, the Art Garfunkle concert I saw in September was stunning. He was accompanied by a guitarist and a  keyboard artist. It was peaceful, gentle, and effective.

He sang "Sounds of Silence" near the end. It all began as usual. But gradually, there was more intensity. He never reached the point where he was shouting the words, but the orchestration (even with just guitar and keyboard) became slightly more powerful, with the beat more pronounced. It was a thank you to Disturbed, and showed that Garfunkle could use some of the element.

It's odd, when you think about it: all of S&G's hits were led by Garfunkle singing the melody. He made the songs, the ones we know. So he sang the hits and added others from his own albums. And he shared loads of background information about the songs, and constantly praised Paul Simon.

It was only on "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" that he said he could no longer sing the high solo lines that appear nearer the end.

When the concert ended, how could there be an encore? And yet the three musicians walked out and sang, very simply, the children's prayer of "Now I lay me down to sleep."

Perfection.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll

Me too, me too.   Layla is my favorite song of all time; both versions.    I haven't seen him in concert in decades but the times I did see him, he was fabulous.