Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Believe Dustin Did It?

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

Because you like an actor or a TV personality doesn't mean they are immune from inappropriate behavior. 

Thinking back on my career, I had male bosses that said or did things that would be considered inappropriate.

There was a time some considered a sexual pass a compliment.

People do not apologize for things they did not do.

@muttmomSome still do...depending on who's making the pass.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I don't believe Dustin Hoffman would force himself on anyone.  Has anyone heard/read the accusations?

@Jackhound Mom

NOT being a smart aleck, but I wonder why you don't believe this.  Do you know him personally?  Have you seen many interviews to get even a small sense of what he's like IRL?     

I don't know if it's true or not.   He's a good actor, but that doesn't really have anything to do with his character.

(I know people don't want to believe bad things about people they happen to like.  Years ago, my mother and I had a lengthy conversation about how she didn't think OJ Simpson killed his ex wife ..... because he was such a good football player when he played for the Buffalo Bills.   So how could he be a murder?   Go figure.  Woman Frustrated)   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I don't believe Dustin Hoffman would force himself on anyone.  Has anyone heard/read the accusations?

@Jackhound Mom

NOT being a smart aleck, but I wonder why you don't believe this.  Do you know him personally?  Have you seen many interviews to get even a small sense of what he's like IRL?     

I don't know if it's true or not.   He's a good actor, but that doesn't really have anything to do with his character.

(I know people don't want to believe bad things about people they happen to like.  Years ago, my mother and I had a lengthy conversation about how she didn't think he killed his ex wife ..... because he was such a good football player when he played for the Buffalo Bills.    Go figure.)   

Who are you talking about, @Tinkrbl44?  ETA:  I guess OJ.  Forgot he played for that team.

Honored Contributor

@tansy

I'm talking to the OP about Dustin Hoffman.   Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Honored Contributor

'I don't know'.......Way back in the retro seventies, lots of  things were going on.  Free l*ve, etc., etc.   It was a different era in those days.   As far as Dustin, I don't know.  It's a toss-up, considering rumors regarding those promiscuous times (in general) , etc.  I believe from those days to the present, he's been very respectful. jmo.  Wishing all concerned good luck.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I wasn't there, so I have know way of knowing if he did or didn't.  Accusers are crawling out of the woodwork and it's sure thing that they are not ALL telling the truth.  I find it distressing that all some woman has to do is accuse a man of abusive behavior or just rude behavior, and people automatically believe it.  

@chrystaltree

Yeah, because ALL men are always such gentlemen.   

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

It seems that accusers are coming out of the woodwork, Dustin Hoffman strikes me as a total professional and total gentleman

@I am still oxox

Unless you know him personally ... keep in mind, he's a very good actor.

Honored Contributor

In general, sometimes people wouldn't believe a person anyway, so they don't speak up.  I'm learning to gently 'speak up', mentioning 'this and that' in front of others.  Sometimes it curtails ridiculous middle school-type of behavior in certain adult people.  Sometimes it's so ridiculous of a behavior for an adult that they ease off.   Sometimes they just don't care and continue their behavior.  That's the problem.  Not caring (no empathy).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I was just reading about a young woman who is a radio personality who was accosted at a sporting event. She got separated from her companions and was grabbed by a guy who proceeded to drag her over to his friends, who were laughing. She screamed to let her go, he did not. Eventually security came to her defense, and miracle of miracle took her part. They asked if she wanted to have the police called, and she said yes. To make a long story short, she did not press charges, but she wanted them to know it was wrong. I applaud this young woman who said yes call the police. No more excuses. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

You never know about people who are rich and powerful. Seems like the men especially,are liars, cheats and think they are above the law. It will be interesting to see what comes out of all this revealing by the accusers.