Contributor
I have been a customer of direct tv for 8 years now. They have raised our rates again and they charge us a sports fee and we don't even watch sports. Anyways my question is does anybody use dish and can you tell me what the service is like and how many channels can you record when you have the hopper? We have the genie now but it's only in our living room, my husband can only record 2 shows on his recorder and he wants to be able to record more without using some of my channels Also can you record all channels even local channels? Thank you in advance for any info!! I will be checking back for any replies.
Respected Contributor

We have the Hopper with Dish and have had it for a few years and have not had any problems with it. You can record up to 6 shows at one time but the show that you are watching counts as one if you are not recording it. We have the basic package and it does include the sports with no extra charge. It records 4 Primetime channels every night from 8pm to 11pm. So that leaves you 2 others to record. If you do not want it to record the Primetime channels there is a way to shut it off. We like that it records the Primetime channels automatically. Our neighbors switched from Direct to Dish and love it too.

Super Contributor
After 12 years with Dish, I switched to Direct which I prefer. The channel lineup is better. They are all over priced. The only way to come out ahead, IMO, is to change companies and get a cheap deal when your contract is up. But who wants to do that?
Contributor
I had called direct and complained and got a discount for the next 6 months. Then after that then the price will go up. These satellite companies charge way too much money. I agree with what dobiesrule said about changing satellite companies every time your contract expires. But who wants to keep doing that.