Trusted Contributor

Dish Network Problem with CBS

I woke up today and I am no longer receiving programming here in Chicago from CBS Channel 2.  Did not even realize that CBS also owns POP Channel which airs 3 consecutive shows of ER re-runs daily which I will not get now until battle is resolved.

Seems like CBS is the worst of all networks that wants more money.  According to Dish they want a 50% increase.  This will eventually mean another increase for Dish bill.  None of their shows are available On Demand ever; and Football games make it crazy to get shows I want to DVR on Sundays.  Have to monitor when sport shows end.  Luckily I can set my DVR to record up to 90 minutes later than scheduled ending if I am not home.

Something really should be done about the effects paying customers have to suffer because of the negotiations.

Anyone else having this issue?

Honored Contributor

Re: Dish Network Problem with CBS

@LogoFan

We are still getting CBS here in TX, but we got the red banner warning across the screen “about to lose CBS”

just recently. 😳

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

We have been getting our local CBS station programming okay so far, but the Smithsonian Channel is showing Lifetime movies.  The guide says that CBS is withholding programming.

I don’t watch much on CBS, but I’m hoping tonight’s prime time lineup isn’t affected.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had to turn the TV on to check. My CBS is still on. I have had  DISH for almost 20 yrs. I'm getting tired of the disputes they have plus the channels they turn off when it happens. 

DISH is offering a digital OTA antenna free to customers if that will work for you.

I hate when I miss the end of a show because of football season which makes shows run late. I have to set them up to record longer so I get the whole show.

Respected Contributor

@LogoFan  You're right about CBS.  About a year ago we had the same problem with them and our AT&T U-Verse.  We lost all the CBS stations for a little less than a week.  Makes me mad, but most of what I watch is on CBS (I guess they figured that out).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Uh oh.  I know I had it this morning when I was flipping through the morning shows.  I wonder if I'll still have it when I go home.  I guess the good news is that Blue Bloods is on hiatus this week and I can watch Y&R through the app for free. 

If anyone watches a CBS show, they put a lot of them on their app and/or website free of charge for the first few days after they air.  No sign in and no free trial necessary for most of them.  Just go to cbs.com, search for your show, and play.  There are commercials but it's an option if you're desperate for something you normally watch.       

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all of the input here.  I did see a short commercial from Dish that refers me to CBS/all access.  This is not free viewing.  Offers a trial.  I am not a tech person, but some information I see tells me I am not sure if I can even take advantage of this feature.

I am already paying a fortune to Dish.  My Dish commercial did not mention anything about a free antenna.  Again I am not a tech person for inside or out.  I live in a condo complex and definitely could not use an outside antenna if it was offered.

Hopefully, this will be resolved before I miss new episodes of Madama Secretary and Wisdom of the Crowd airing here on Sunday nights.

Just have to wait and see.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I look at it this way, I pay the cable company every month to have these channels, so why can't they just pay the network company what they want, instead of going into negotiations about their cost. They have no problem raising our monthly charge and sure don't let us negotiate with them about it,  so when the network wants more from them, they should just pay it. They don't like it when it's done to them, but have no problem doing it to us. 

Honored Contributor

It's not just CBS that does this. I have Spectrum and have been threatened in the past, no ABC or NBC and their related cable stations. You get the crawl at the top of the screen alerting you that you may lose this station, call your provider. It's always the customer who suffers when the two big companies fight over money.

Valued Contributor

Hate disputes when we lose a channel for a couple of months.On the 29th Cbs will have a Bruno Mars special.