Trusted Contributor

Dish Network Offer to save $ on local channels

Has anyone else received notice from Dish to save $12 monthly fee for their transmission of local channels like CBS, NBC, ABC & Fox channel.  In the Chicago area they are offering a free exterior antenna to be installed beside satellite dish, in order to receive that free transmission of local networks.

I cannot recall where, but I have seen statements that some people feel they would lose PBS channel(s).  This would have an impact on me because I love PBS programming.

I could not get any straight answers on why this offer exists.  Also loss of certain channels through exterior antenna would depend upon location and Dish could not confirm in advance if I would lose anything.

Not sure I want to take a chance on this, even if it saves me money.  My gut feeling is that the TV ads I am seeing where local channels are pulling out on other Companies life Direct TV, ATT Uverse, etc. is making Satellite Networks want to bow out of offering the locals anymore.

Would appreciate any comments or feedback here. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dish Network Offer to save $ on local channels

Maybe Dish plans to have disputes with these networks and wants to have the free antenna in place to avoid carrying these channels on DISH. They eliminated HBO because of a dispute, I had to buy a Roku stick and HBO Now to continue seeing HBO programming. 

Honored Contributor

You can buy yourself an interior antenna and install it yourself in about 5 minutes.  I paid $12. for mine on Amazon.  I get all the network channels,  PBS, QVC, HSN, and a out 50 others including a weather channel, many Spanish, religious and old sitcoms.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@LogoFan 

I'm about 2-3 hours away from Chicago...i didn't recieve that offer

bu  tlast year /this yearafter dispute 

after i got one  or more on channels back after they settled w/NBC, etc..it. is costing me more money!

But  i won't give up  my dish newtwork !

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was told the company that owns DirecTV pulled HBO from DISH because they owned HBO.  Currently CBS is missing for DirecTV in this area.  What we need is an expert on who pays whom.  Does the channel pay to be included on the satellite service, or does the satellite service pay the networks in each area?  I once was missing LC for several months, they and DISH finally worked out the problem.  I never understood who paid whom.  I just know when I called LC they said it was DISH's fault.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

Lol! If you had called Dish..they would have told you it was LC's fault!

And we are caught in the middle...and usually end up paying more each month...!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I was told the company that owns DirecTV pulled HBO from DISH because they owned HBO.  Currently CBS is missing for DirecTV in this area.  What we need is an expert on who pays whom.  Does the channel pay to be included on the satellite service, or does the satellite service pay the networks in each area?  I once was missing LC for several months, they and DISH finally worked out the problem.  I never understood who paid whom.  I just know when I called LC they said it was DISH's fault.  

@depglass 

First of all thanks for all responses here.  FYI, AT&T now owns HBO/Cinemax premium channels.  There is an ongoing lawsuit because of ATT being unreasonable in their requirements for Satellite companies, i.e., Dish, to maintain these channels in their lineup.  ATT owns Direct TV and ATT Uverse Satellite companies.  As mentioned here and on TV recently, those networks have lost CBS and NBC channels recently.  Sorry to say, it looks like ATT may be the culprit here.

The networks negotiate a contract with Satellite companies to be able to offer each channel to their subscribers.  I guess that would mean that the cost does go back to the consumer once a contract is settled.  I lost HBO last October and not sure if/when it will return.

Of course, it is true that the networks and satellite companies blame each other for issues.   We, the customers, suffer the consequences for these crazy issues.

I have ATT phone service and internet and things I am now experiencing reassures me that ATT is really not treating their customers fairly.  An example is that this month customers in my area will lose the option of a $6 monthly fee for inside wiring maintenance.  As a result, there will be a $99 service call fee if having problems, and issues are not related to outside wiring issues.

I had an issue with internet email and landline phone services and it could not be determined by a service call where the problem lies.  If this happens in the future, I have to assume I will be charged for a service call that does not resolve my issues.  I replaced my landline phone system to see if that would help.  Guess that helped - I no longer have people contact me to ask why I did not respond to their voicemail message which I never received.  Apple tech support helped with email issues to an extent, but still seeing strange things.

Sorry I rambled on.  Tried to abbreviate my experiences and reasons for believing who was responsible.