Honored Contributor

Re: Disgusting commercial to me.

This has NOTHING to do with "hangups". They are just trying to be provocative and it is so unneccesary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

This has NOTHING to do with "hangups". They are just trying to be provocative and it is so unneccesary. 

@RetRN  Yep, the good ole "shock" factor.

Honored Contributor

I just happened to read a quote of Johnny Carson.

"Not long before he died, Johnny went to dinner with Garry Shandling and Jerry Seinfeld, and apparently went on about his disappointment in the direction television was going, with its tabloid nature and reality garbage," said filmmaker Peter Jones. "He had said he was sickened by what was going on, and was glad he got out when he did."

Esteemed Contributor

When I saw the shaving commercial my first thought was a safer and more effective product for those that have a need for it.  BTW have you seen the commercials for Manscaped?  Comparable products for men.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@RetRN Isn't that what it's all about now?  As far as I can tell, that's the objective of almost everyone and everything.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I think its advertising some streaming show not sure, its shown very fast.  Its a person licking another persons bald head.  I dont know if they are males or females.  I try my best to look away when it comes on but sometimes Im not fast enough.

Gripe over.

well yeah, I'm just not a spit fan. I appreciate it's value and importance, but as a shared visual? I'll pass.

What "value"? What "importance"?

Honored Contributor

Starting with the reality shows, there is a lot of waste on TV.  Having commercials as the ones mentioned just fits in with the rest of the waste.  My opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@RetRN Isn't that what it's all about now?  As far as I can tell, that's the objective of almost everyone and everything.

Well now come on @Sooner, once media of most types realized they were no longer capable of doing quality (or became too lazy to try), it dawned on them, collectively, that they could do provocative with so much more ease. Ergo, anything goes, from movies to TV to commercials and most is pretty clearly not very good...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Well now come on @Sooner, once media of most types realized they were no longer capable of doing quality (or became too lazy to try), it dawned on them collectively, that they could do provocative with so much more ease. Ergo, anything goes, from movies to TV to commercials and most is pretty clearly not very good...

I also find the shaving commercial distasteful, haven't seen the licking one for which my eyes are grateful. Yes, the advertising people are intentionally provocative to sell their product. Only problem is their target market will not bat an eye, probably a big yawn for them. The alienated most likely will not seek out or purchase the product due to the unpleasant connotations. The advertising strategy may just prove counterproductive in the long run. 

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Starting with the reality shows, there is a lot of waste on TV.  Having commercials as the ones mentioned just fits in with the rest of the waste.  My opinion.

@spiderw 

The problem stems from having a gazillion networks and channels and time slots to fill.   

Networks can't film stuff fast enough to have something to fill each and every channel 24 hours a day.  Even if it's kwap, hey, it's new kwap. If it doesn't catch on during prime time, they can always air it in the middle of the night.