Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Discovery + and additional fees

There have been countless ads for Discovery +. I am apprehensive about the set up and the future charges. So I have no interest in signing up.

Well, on facebook one of the groups I sign into, there was a question - Who has Disney+ with premier access? Does the $30 fee apply to all new releases for a specific time? Or is it a fee for each new movie?

The answer was $30 for each movie.

That is exactly what I was afraid might happen with Discovery +.  After you sign up there would be additional charges added on for certain shows or having early access to certain shows.

Respected Contributor

Re: Discovery + and additional fees

[ Edited ]

I'm not surprised, with the popularity of streaming, that this has begun to spin off in every possible direction...new services to buy every time something new to watch is advertised.

I have Netflix, Prime and Hulu. Actually, had Hulu for a while, watched what I wanted then dropped it for about a year. Just signed back up about 4 months ago, thinking I was going to watch some old 70's sitcoms, but since I was involved with a few Netflix series then, and now Parenthood on Prime...I've yet to watch one thing on Hulu. I seem to like Netflix best.

I have Apple TV, came with my Ipad Pro...I think maybe for a limited time...and only some shows are free. I only just watched it for the first time last week, an Oprah interview.

Prime is annoying because any good movie, new or old, you still have to pay for. I have paid for at least half of what I've watched on Prime, even with membership.

And I still have cable!

So....that's enough for me for now. 🤷‍♀️

$30 a movie sounds wrong? or ridiculous!

Honored Contributor

Discovery plus took many of my favorite shows I have watched  and now want me to join and pay more money for shows that were free.  As much as I miss the shows, I am not going to yield to greed and paying more.  My cable bill is already too high.  

I say if Discovery plus wants to air original programming, fine but taking other shows which were free and now expecting payment is unfair and I won't be a part of it, my choice.

Respected Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Discovery plus took many of my favorite shows I have watched  and now want me to join and pay more money for shows that were free.  As much as I miss the shows, I am not going to yield to greed and paying more.  My cable bill is already too high.  

I say if Discovery plus wants to air original programming, fine but taking other shows which were free and now expecting payment is unfair and I won't be a part of it, my choice.

Agreed! Emphasis...on "greed." 😏

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

@spiderw @amyb   I agree, I am not paying extra for Discovery plus. I already pay for Discovery in my cable bill. It is not free. So paying for Discovery plus just doubles the charge.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

Count me in too!  I can't see paying fo shows that are really not all that great to begin with and were free before.

I'll stick with NetFlix, Prime and I follow a lot of interesting people on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb  I've NEVER paid for Prime movie.  I accumulate "credits."  I am currently down to $22.50  in credits to use before they all expire in June.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

No add on subscriptions for me here! Between Hulu, 

prime and Netflix, I've got enough 

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

I'm not surprised, with the popularity of streaming, that this has begun to spin off in every possible direction...new services to buy every time something new to watch is advertised.

I have Netflix, Prime and Hulu. Actually, had Hulu for a while, watched what I wanted then dropped it for about a year. Just signed back up about 4 months ago, thinking I was going to watch some old 70's sitcoms, but since I was involved with a few Netflix series then, and now Parenthood on Prime...I've yet to watch one thing on Hulu. I seem to like Netflix best.

I have Apple TV, came with my Ipad Pro...I think maybe for a limited time...and only some shows are free. I only just watched it for the first time last week, an Oprah interview.

Prime is annoying because any good movie, new or old, you still have to pay for. I have paid for at least half of what I've watched on Prime, even with membership.

And I still have cable!

So....that's enough for me for now. 🤷‍♀️

@amyb I have found plenty of Prime content for free. I've only ordered movies for pay twice. 

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb wrote:

$30 is for first run movies that otherwise would have been released directly to theaters.  For example, Mulan was expected to be a huge hit for Disney and cost $200M to make (per Google).  It's a way for them to recoup the likely billions they lost in 2020.

For me, I wouldn't pay extra because I live alone and wouldn't spend that much going to the theater. And, maybe they are being a little greedy and could charge less.  But, I understand why they are doing it.

I don't think it's fair to compare Disney charging an additional fee for 1st run films meant for the theater and regular programming on a streaming service.