Respected Contributor

I understand that on Jan 4th Discovery Plus Streaming Service will launch $5.00/month with ads and $7.00/month wtihout ads.

They are listing such programs as discovery, animal planet, HGTV, Magnolia Home, OWN. I cannot determine if these are special or different programing from the stand alone channel of say HGTV or just another option for watching?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Discovery Plus: Streaming

I'm so sick of all the streaming stuff. Everything is extra. 

Honored Contributor

https://www.discoveryplus.com

looks like old and new to me?

Honored Contributor

I thought Magnolia was getting their own streaming service separate from Discovery+, but I could be wrong.  I don't watch them.

From the few commercials I have seen it sounds like a bit of both.  Some new content and old content on-demand.  

My husband wants to cut the cord, but I think eventually, it's going to be just as expensive with all the streaming services to get what you want.  

Respected Contributor

@granddi  I think it may be additional programs not seen (at the same time), as the regular channel.

I saw some commercials for a show I watch on TLC, and these "additional" shows were available on the new service, so my guess is that they are not available on the other channels.

I have cable and plenty of channels, DVR service, and video on demand, and for now, it's an easy pass for me. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I thought Magnolia was getting their own streaming service separate from Discovery+, but I could be wrong.  I don't watch them.

From the few commercials I have seen it sounds like a bit of both.  Some new content and old content on-demand.  

My husband wants to cut the cord, but I think eventually, it's going to be just as expensive with all the streaming services to get what you want.  

entire channel of the Gaines' no thank you

and cut the cord and add all the streamers = same cost.

Honored Contributor

I already get all of the channels offered that I'd watch, on Sling, except for Animal Planet.  The rest I would not watch.  I never watch HGTV anymore and got sick of Johanna Gaines years ago.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m embarrassed to say that I think they’ve brainwashed me after watching all of the commercials for it - I think I’m going to try it! I’ve been watching a lot of those channels these last few months and some of their original shows look interesting.

I think I’m crazy because, here’s the thing, I don’t often “stream”. I don’t really ever have an idea of what I want to watch, so I still stroll and see what looks interesting on each channel. And, when I’m working during the day, the TV is on low for background noise (currently, I usually have it on HGTV (love the ending reveals!) or Science Channel). So, I’ll try it for a few months and see if I use it.

When I was looking at the Magnolia Channels offerings, it doesn’t appear that they are all Chip and Joanna. For sure, they each have their own shows. But, I think they are also producing other shows under their brand.

(edit to add: I get DirecTV, with HBO, through my condo association and it's not that expensive.  So, adding on some streaming services is still reasonable each month.)

Honored Contributor

Some of the new programming will be exclusive to D+ and there will be some older shows which can only be seen on those channels, too. D+ seems to have come around for cable-cutters...just as so many of the other streaming services have done. it's the age of streaming. Might as well get use to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

https://www.discoveryplus.com

looks like old and new to me?

@jackthebear  Thanks for the link. I am going to pass.