Honored Contributor

Disappointed in the ID Network Re Dr. Jeff MacDonald Upcoming Show

[ Edited ]

I like the Investigation Discovery (ID) Network and watch it often.   But now it is promoting an upcoming show about the Jeffrey MacDonald case (yet another show about it?  Nobody will portray MacDonald better than Gary Cole did!) and its title is Final Vision.  Really ID Network?  You had to  "steal"  the name of  Joe McGinnis'  book and subsequent TV miniseries starring Cole and the late Karl Malden about it, based on the book, entitled Fatal Vision?   You mean you couldn't even come up with an original title, but have to mislead viewers into thinking it is Fatal Vision?   That's awful!  I'm ashamed of the network for doing that - I would have given it more credit.  

And what's with rehashing all these well publicized crimes that have all been done before?  This one, the Menendez Brothers, etc. There are a spate of them lately.   I did make an argument here once defending them because not everyone is my age and remembers these (I remember the Manson murders that far back!) so they can be educational in teaching of a famous crime.  But really, I can't imagine the ID version of this is going to be better than the Fatal Vision miniseries.  Good grief, there are enough crimes in this country to reenact other ones.  Many are fascinating - why rehash these?  They are getting to be like movie remakes!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disappointed in the ID Network Re Dr. Jeff MacDonald Upcoming Show

DH and I watch ID channel as well, but I have no problem with watching another program about Dr. MacDonald and the murders of his family. I too have read the book and watched other shows about it, and I do remember when it happened. I'm looking forward to ID's show and I'm sure there are younger people who may not be familiar with it. Who knows - there might be another "slant" to it. After everything I've read and watched, I never thought he was guilty.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I didn't watch the Menendez brothers series, but I may watch this one. Always intrigued me. I think he did it and would like to see him confess someday. Like that will ever happen. These were horrendous murders that horrified a whole country.

Honored Contributor

Remember when it happened; remember when he was arrested and re-tried and convicted. I worked at the hospital where he was working in the ER.  I both saw the mini-series and read the book, and have never felt he was anything but totally guilty. The man is another OJ. 

I have always kept up with his appeals, magazine articles, etc.  I would not mind seeing another POV. But if it’s just all the “new evidence” that MacDonald himself has put forth and the judge has been very unimpressed with, then it’s just another con job from MacDonald.

As for the title, Joe McGinniss wrote a sequel in 2012 titled Final Vision, so I can only assume the title is being used with his knowledge and consent - and is based partly on McGinniss’ second book - especially since McGinniss is portrayed onscreen in the new series. None of that would occur without McGinniss signing off on it all. It could well be created from the second book.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I watch that channel exclusively and would like to see some new stuff too...just saying that I agree with op.If you watch often you see the same programs being repeated and remade.

Honored Contributor

I’m 3/4 of the way through Final Vision, which I purchased right after I posted. I’m about 80% finished with it already (it’s only 77 pages). It’s a re-hash of the history of the crime and all trials, re-trials, re-visiting accusations, witnesses, judges, prosecutors, etc. yadda yadda. It also rebuts specific slander aimed at McGinniss. 

I think the program will consist of this history of the crime, trials and evidence, with all the latest tricks and claims (which are almost 2 years old now), and will end saying there IS nothing new...because...it’s true - there is no new info that hasn’t been known for decades.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I’m 3/4 of the way through Final Vision, which I purchased right after I posted. I’m about 80% finished with it already (it’s only 77 pages). It’s a re-hash of the history of the crime and all trials, re-trials, re-visiting accusations, witnesses, judges, prosecutors, etc. yadda yadda. It also rebuts specific slander aimed at McGinniss. 

I think the program will consist of this history of the crime, trials and evidence, with all the latest tricks and claims (which are almost 2 years old now), and will end saying there IS nothing new...because...it’s true - there is no new info that hasn’t been known for decades.

Agree completely with your last sentence. That's why I'd love to see him confess. Maybe on his deathbed?.. But I don't think so.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Agree completely with your last sentence. That's why I'd love to see him confess. Maybe on his deathbed?.. But I don't think so.

@proudlyfromNJ, I think that somewhere in there, he’s managed to convince himself that the story he concocted is true. His actions and the physical evidence show that he was in coverup mode during the murders, so he knew. But he’s such a sociopath he convinced himself later it was as the fairytale he created.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde.  I think you're right. 

Honored Contributor

@PearleeDoes MacDonald have another appeal coming up?  Is that why the new show?