Honored Contributor

All of the reviews I've read said the same thing.

It also spawned many articles about the true story of 'Dumbo', the elephant who the original movie was about.

He was a circus performer who had a high level of aggression due to his abusive training and was fed large amounts of alcohol to stem his aggression and ultimately died when he escaped and was hit by a train.

So sad.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Look at Tim Burton's other movies. They were different.

Respected Contributor

As soon as I saw the previews, I knew this wasn’t a movie for younger children.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

All of the reviews I've read said the same thing.

It also spawned many articles about the true story of 'Dumbo', the elephant who the original movie was about.

He was a circus performer who had a high level of aggression due to his abusive training and was fed large amounts of alcohol to stem his aggression and ultimately died when he escaped and was hit by a train.

So sad.

😢

Valued Contributor

What a nice thing you did taking your time to warn people with kids and big people like me  I decided by watching the trailer that I couldnt do it

Trusted Contributor

There have been a lot of Disney movies that are not appropriate for kids anymore (such as Into the Woods). Parents need to do their homework and not assume because it is from Disney, that it is fine for kids. Too bad. 

Actually, even the first one, where Dumbo's mother gets taken away, is also heartbreaking. Bambi's mother gets killed, etc. Not all happiness all the time. I had so wanted to see this, but the reviews are horrible. I may go on "cheap movie Tuesday" just to see it, but my expectations are really low. 

I don't know why they have the need to remake all of the masterpieces into live and animation movies. I am hoping that Aladdin will be OK next month and that they will not have destroyed Lion King, when that comes later this year. The animated one is wonderful and there really didn't need to be this remake. I thought they were doing Mulan, as well.

Honored Contributor

Tim Burton is the director so it never occurred to me that it would be light hearted movie that a 7 year old would enjoy.  I expected that it would be a "dark" version of of classic that many remembered from their childhood but it's not a family type movie.  It hasn't be billed that way.  

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the preview for this when I took my granddaughter to see Smallfoot, which is a young kids'movie, so the theaters or distributors or whoever makes that decision were targeting kids.  As soon as I saw the preview I was also one who thought there is no way I want to see that.

Honored Contributor

Most people my age were scarred for life by Old Yeller.  Ask any of us how the movie ended and we say "They shot the dog."  

The adults who saw it with us would say "But what about the puppies?"  And we'd sniffle and say "WHAT PUPPIES?"

Trusted Contributor

The film is rated PG, not for young children.  As an adult I enjoyed the acting, effects, set design and costumes...and Tim Burton's quirkiness.