Honored Contributor

Re: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

@Jordan2 

On the Oxygen station website, it's mentioned Linda was 21 when she met Dan who was 38, a doctor & a lawyer who happened to also be very wealthy.   A golddigger who hit the......

MEGAJACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

Not saying I agree w/what Linda did but I understand. whistling.gif

Linda was 28 when she died.  Betty went through hell for 7 yrs!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

IRe: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

[ Edited ]

It' s been a long time since I watched the Lifetime movies but I am enjoying the mini series. I still believe that Meredith Baxter and Stephen Collins did a better job with their parts. The first two episodes were sloooow but now that Linda is on the scene, things are picking up. If memory serves, their 4 children had a good relationship with Linda. I realize Betty wanted desperately to stay married. She should have agreed to a divorce before everything got so out of hand and this tradegy could have been prevented. Four children lost both parents. Who raised Dan and Betty's kids? Some of the children were too young to be on their own. 

Respected Contributor

Re: IRe: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

[ Edited ]

@texassunflower wrote:

It' s been a long time since I watched the Lifetime movies but I am enjoying the mini series. I still believe that Meredith Baxter and Stephen Collins did a better job with their parts. The first two episodes were sloooow but now that Linda is on the scene, things are picking up. If memory serves, their 4 children had a good relationship with Linda. I realize Betty wanted desperately to stay married. She should have agreed to a divorce before everything got so out of hand and this tradegy could have been prevented. Four children lost both parents. Who raised Dan and Betty's kids? Some of the children were too young to be on their own. 

I so agree.  Betty had money and, according to the first tv movie, had a nice man in her life.  She could've moved on.  I wonder about the children, too.

This series is definitely improving.  The last episode was very good.

Honored Contributor

Now I know why Peet looks much older than Betty was at the time, she is seven years older, Betty was forty-one, and Peet is forty-eight.

Honored Contributor

the original casting of Meredith Baxter Birney was good because physically she resembled Betty. I can't fault Amanda Peet; she's doing a superb job with what she's been given. I think shes a terrific actor. Slater is Slater but the real standout is the young man playing young Dan/Christian. He has his speech and physical mannerisms down precisely!

Young Betty/Amanda just confuses matters. Personally I'd have preferred they use the same actors and do some age regression/progression

the whole production suffers from the skipping around in time. Extremely difficult to follow...

But assuming the depiction of events is accurate Dan tortured Betty psychologically and then took everything away from her including access to her children!!! Murder wasn't the answer but I can certainly empathize with Betty's position...

Honored Contributor

I can't agree with anyone committing murder, but that Dan is a real piece of work. Betty gave up all her hopes and dreams for Dans'. She was studying to be a teacher, Dan becomes a doctor and then goes back to school to become a lawyer. All the while Betty is home more or less as a single parent taking care of four young kids. He should have been generous in a settlement, she deserved to get half of his earnings, she helped him become who he was. As for Linda, I don't have any respect for a woman going after a family man and not caring. Dan pretty much flaunted his relationship in Betty's face.

Honored Contributor

My husband totally gave up on this last night because of the skipping back and forth.  It was getting very confusing.

But the one thing I don't understand is that Betty appeared not to want custody of her kids until she got a monetary settlement from Dan.  She told her attorney that and she told the therapist that.

I'm not at all defending Dan.  That man was a complete narcissist and a few other things I can't say here.  But I honestly think Betty had mental problems.  This was not a rational woman at all.  Obviously seeing as she committed murder.  She even told the therapist that she threatened Dan all the time.  What did she think was going to come out of all of this?  

I wanted to knock Dan and Linda into tomorrow but Betty is frustrating as well.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-11-27-me-187-story.html

Broderick's Rage Linked to Disorders, Psychiatrist Says : Killings

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  "she deserved to get half of his earnings"

Yes she did but, last night she told her attorney she did not want half!  Just enough to support her children & herself in a lifestyle that she would have enjoyed if still married.  Betty thought Dan was worth 2.8.  I am assuming she meant millions.  She didn't even say the words "dollars, thousand and/or million."

Even stranger, her attorny did NOT object.  confused.gif  Just said, "I'll check Dan's financials."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2 

On the Oxygen station website, it's mentioned Linda was 21 when she met Dan who was 38, a doctor & a lawyer who happened to also be very wealthy.   A golddigger who e e a hard time hit the......

MEGAJACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

Not saying I agree w/what Linda did but I understand. whistling.gif

-----

While I agree Betty was treated badly, I have a hard time, feeling much sympathy for her.  

She was a grown woman who generated a good bit, of that  hell, herself.  Yes she was treated badly, but, so are millions of women, in divorce cases. 

She could have behaved rationally, and been able to retain attorneys to help her. If she wanted revenge (such a healthy emotion) she could have sought to hit Dan financially, and gone on, to move on, and live well, herself. 

She could certainly have taken advice, and sought counseling. 

Instead, she killed two people, devastated the lives, of 4 children, and ruined her own life. 

I do think she had/has, some degree of mental illness, 

and it's tragic, all the way around, that she didn't seek help.  

Linda was 28 when she died.  Betty went through hell for 7 yrs!

------