Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

The best movie out there about Betty Broderick is the mini series, A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story.  Meredith Baxter played the you know what out of Betty.

I have the DVD.  Matter of fact, I watched it again this past weekend.

FULL MOVIE--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBeWFfMajq8

--------------

I remember that show. Meridith was so good in the role of the revengeful, frantic, loony mom!!  Also really liked the Dirty John series...what a brainless, ridiculous woman Debra was!   Both shows were entertaining, but am not interested in watching those stories again!

Honored Contributor

I was watching the season finale of The Sinner and saw the promo for this, I am looking forward to it.

Valued Contributor

I read the book years ago. I believe the name of the book was The Twelfth of Never. I think that was their song when the marriage was good. It was very interesting.

Respected Contributor

Sounds good.  That Betty Broderick biography and movie aired a lot during snow days years ago.  Meredith did an excellent job in that part.  Yes, the husband shouldn't have taunted her, but he and his wife didn't deserve to get murdered.  Betty had the money to relocate and start a new life.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45   Do you know when it begins?  Coincidentally, I watched A Woman Scorned, and Her Final Fury last night, as I do periodically. Years ago, I read the huge book, watched the court tv trial, and read everything that I saw on the subject.

Just from the promo, I do not like Peet playing Betty, can't compare to Meredith Baxter's performances

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course, I don't condone murder, but Dan and Linda knew Betty was unstable, they provoked her and saw how she was unravelling. 

Dan wouldn't speak to Betty, maybe if he had treated her like a human being, the woman who gave him four children, and supported him while he was getting his schooling, instead of discarded garbage, this would have ended differently, we will never know.

I don't understand why the court did not divide the community property equally, as is the law in California, Betty got the short end of the stick.  Betty basically got nothing from the divorce, and I don't consider the money Dan gave her monthly, which dwindled over time, payment for all the years of marriage, and Betty contributing to Dan being able to make the fortune he did.  It would have been a drop in the bucket for Dan to give Betty half, which she deserved, as he would still have been filthy rich.

If this had taken place, maybe she would not have been driven to murder, and maybe in time she would have gotten over the divorce, especially with counseling, though she did have a personality disorder so don't know how that would be treated.

Betty made a HUGE mistake turning her children over to Dan, and in such a lousy manner.  I fault her for the way she involved her children in the nasty goings on, Dan deserved her wrath, but their children did not deserve to be involved to the extent that they were.

I just think the divorce could have been handled in a much better manner, but Dan had the power, legally and monetarily, and used it against her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Houstonoilers wrote:

She was getting 16K a month spousal support and lived in a mansion.  I believe I could definetely get over any man and move on given those circumstances.

The long drawn-out Broderick divorce was finalized in 1989, four years after Dan filed for it. By many accounts, Dan dragged the divorce out for four years on purpose. In California, there was a little-known legal concept called "Epstein credits" which worked to thwart any financial settlement entitled to Betty. By the time the divorce trial came to fruition, because of Epstein credits, Betty's share of community property had been substantially reduced. Epstein credits are a provision under California divorce law which says that the supporting spouse (in this case Dan) may charge the dependent spouse (Betty) for one-half of all community debts accumulated – not from the date of divorce, but from the date of separation. If there is a substantial amount of time (in the interim), a dependent spouse may actually accumulate enough Epstein credits to effectively cancel out any share of the community property which might have been forthcoming had the divorce been finalized immediately after separation.

In the case of the Brodericks, legal maneuverings and delays postponed the divorce trial incident after incident. At the divorce trial, Betty represented herself without an attorney. In what many believed was outrageously unfair and what only solidified Dan's clout in the local legal arena, the Broderick divorce trial was completely sealed off from the public at Dan's request. The courtroom door windows were covered up with paper. At the end of the eight day trial, Judge William Howatt accepted all of Dan's proposed numbers and ruled that Betty owed Dan $750,000 in Epsteins and cash advances, all accrued between the time Dan moved out and the date the divorce was final on January 30, 1989.

In the end, Dan Broderick, multi-millionaire and the father of Betty's four children, was ordered to pay his wife of 20 years less than $30,000 in cash. In addition, Dan was re-awarded custody of the children.

https://murderpedia.org/female.B/b/broderick-betty.htm

@sunshine45   She lived in a house on the beach, not a mansion.  Betty should have received half of the community property, it is law in California or was at that time, but Dan had the power and no one in the legal field would help her, until the trial.

Dan was filthy rich, thanks to Betty supporting him while he was in school,  birthing four children, and having several miscarriages and working to support all of them.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Of course, I don't condone murder, but Dan and Linda knew Betty was unstable, they provoked her and saw how she was unravelling. 

Dan wouldn't speak to Betty, maybe if he had treated her like a human being, the woman who gave him four children, and supported him while he was getting his schooling, instead of discarded garbage, this would have ended differently, we will never know.

I don't understand why the court did not divide the community property equally, as is the law in California, Betty got the short end of the stick.  Betty basically got nothing from the divorce, and I don't consider the money Dan gave her monthly, which dwindled over time, payment for all the years of marriage, and Betty contributing to Dan being able to make the fortune he did.  It would have been a drop in the bucket for Dan to give Betty half, which she deserved, as he would still have been filthy rich.

If this had taken place, maybe she would not have been driven to murder, and maybe in time she would have gotten over the divorce, especially with counseling, though she did have a personality disorder so don't know how that would be treated.

Betty made a HUGE mistake turning her children over to Dan, and in such a lousy manner.  I fault her for the way she involved her children in the nasty goings on, Dan deserved her wrath, but their children did not deserve to be involved to the extent that they were.

I just think the divorce could have been handled in a much better manner, but Dan had the power, legally and monetarily, and used it against her.

@mousiegirl - Because as a lowyer, he knew exactly what he was doing and probably got a lot of "off the hours" legal advice from friends.

I saw the miniseries on Lifetime some years ago, and read about the story too, although I haven't read any books about it. I wonder if her children go visit her? It's a tragic story. MBB did a great job - did she get an Emmy nomination?

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl - Because as a lowyer, he knew exactly what he was doing and probably got a lot of "off the hours" legal advice from friends.

I saw the miniseries on Lifetime some years ago, and read about the story too, although I haven't read any books about it. I wonder if her children go visit her? It's a tragic story. MBB did a great job - did she get an Emmy nomination?

@beach-mom   Yes, she received an emmy nomination.  

Even though Dan had and abused power, the law is the law, too bad an attorney with a backbone didn't come to her rescue at the beginning.

Honored Contributor

Dan was a lawyer AND knew lawmakers in "high places" who helped him bend the law (loopholes) to his advantage.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif