Occasional Contributor

Re: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

I knew a REAL Betty Broderick type.  Her name was Helen.  She worked through kids and all to put her husband thru law school.  They had a tiny cape cod type starter house.  As soon as he hit it big as an ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyer, he divorced Helen for a trophy chickie.  He and the second wife bought a huge mansion with all the amenities...butler's pantry, in-ground pool, plus an indoor pool, huge dressing rooms, etc.  Helen's kids never wanted to stay home in the cape cod anymore.  They wanted to live in the mansion.  Helen got to hear about how pretty the new wife is, what beautiful clothes she has, how great the mansion is, etc.  Helen didn't get child support because the teenage kids chose to live in the mansion.  She could only get work as a telemarketer, because, I forgot to mention, she had had to drop out of college herself to work and support the reptile she married.  Murder is too good for husbands like this.  Helen lived in sorrow, and lost the kids and the lifestyle to which she was entitled.

Honored Contributor

@Sojourner   Helen's attorney didn't fight for alimony?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In watching this series, I really can't stand any of the 3 principal people and they all 3 make me ill (figuratively).

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

@Sojourner wrote:

I knew a REAL Betty Broderick type.  Her name was Helen.  She worked through kids and all to put her husband thru law school.  They had a tiny cape cod type starter house.  As soon as he hit it big as an ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyer, he divorced Helen for a trophy chickie.  He and the second wife bought a huge mansion with all the amenities...butler's pantry, in-ground pool, plus an indoor pool, huge dressing rooms, etc.  Helen's kids never wanted to stay home in the cape cod anymore.  They wanted to live in the mansion.  Helen got to hear about how pretty the new wife is, what beautiful clothes she has, how great the mansion is, etc.  Helen didn't get child support because the teenage kids chose to live in the mansion.  She could only get work as a telemarketer, because, I forgot to mention, she had had to drop out of college herself to work and support the reptile she married.  Murder is too good for husbands like this.  Helen lived in sorrow, and lost the kids and the lifestyle to which she was entitled.

-----

Yes, Husbands like this are creeps, but, being married to an AH, does not justify murder! 

There's are thousands, maybe millions of women, who have been in Betty like situations, and did not commit murder! 

Betty's 
behavior made her situation far worse, than it needed to be. Was she treated badly? Yes, no doubt. 

Instead of refusing to be a victim, she wallowed in it! I have very little sympathy.  

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

@Sojourner wrote:

-----

Yes, Husbands like this are creeps, but, being married to an AH, does not justify murder! 

There's are thousands, maybe millions of women, who have been in Betty like situations, and did not commit murder! 

Betty's 
behavior made her situation far worse, than it needed to be. Was she treated badly? Yes, no doubt. 

Instead of refusing to be a victim, she wallowed in it! I have very little sympathy.

@SuhseK   I believe her behavior was due to her personality disorder, because according to what I have read and seen in movies, she had issues in this regard all along. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Jordan2 

On the Oxygen station website, it's mentioned Linda was 21 when she met Dan who was 38, a doctor & a lawyer who happened to also be very wealthy.   A golddigger who hit the......

MEGAJACKPOT!!!!!!!!!

Not saying I agree w/what Linda did but I understand. whistling.gif

Linda was 28 when she died.  Betty went through hell for 7 yrs!

@Mz iMac   As you know, Dan had a doctor's degree, but I would never call him that as he never practiced, just don't like him getting credit for that, where was the credit due to Betty. 

I still like the original movie series much better, but the actor playing Dan in A Woman Scorned was way too good looking to play Dan, and even though I do not like the main actors in the current, at least he is shown more to be what he was, and I think Linda was more like what she is portrayed as in this series than in the original.  I just don't understand why the actor's hair color is not what the real people's hair color was according to pictures I have seen of the real people.

Thank goodness it is over next week, actually forgot about season 6, but found it online free to view.

Do you know about the special on Betty on Wednesday, July 15 on Oxygen?

Honored Contributor

Re: IRe: Dirty John Season 2....Betty Broderick Story

@texassunflower wrote:

It' s been a long time since I watched the Lifetime movies but I am enjoying the mini series. I still believe that Meredith Baxter and Stephen Collins did a better job with their parts. The first two episodes were sloooow but now that Linda is on the scene, things are picking up. If memory serves, their 4 children had a good relationship with Linda. I realize Betty wanted desperately to stay married. She should have agreed to a divorce before everything got so out of hand and this tradegy could have been prevented. Four children lost both parents. Who raised Dan and Betty's kids? Some of the children were too young to be on their own. 

@texassunflower   I believe Dan's brother raised the two younger boys.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My husband totally gave up on this last night because of the skipping back and forth.  It was getting very confusing.

But the one thing I don't understand is that Betty appeared not to want custody of her kids until she got a monetary settlement from Dan.  She told her attorney that and she told the therapist that.

I'm not at all defending Dan.  That man was a complete narcissist and a few other things I can't say here.  But I honestly think Betty had mental problems.  This was not a rational woman at all.  Obviously seeing as she committed murder.  She even told the therapist that she threatened Dan all the time.  What did she think was going to come out of all of this?  

I wanted to knock Dan and Linda into tomorrow but Betty is frustrating as well.   

@Lipstickdiva   Betty was diagnosed with a personality disorder, google for more details.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Do you know about the special on Betty on Wednesday, July 15 on Oxygen?

@mousiegirl

Actually not until I saw the commercial on the Oxygen channel about it.  I went to the website & found the following.....

“Snapped: Betty Broderick,” depicts the shocking details of the heinous murders of Betty’s ex-husband, Dan, and his new wife, Linda, along with the investigation, and trial that led to Betty’s 32-years-to-life sentence. Through in-depth interviews with former detective, Terry Degelder, friends of Dan Broderick, Betty’s attorney Jack Farley, and the author of Forsaking All Others: The Real Betty Broderick Story, Loretta Schwartz-Nobel, the episode delves into the history of Betty and Dan’s relationship and its ultimate demise. 

Taking a different perspective, the special aims to unravel the age-old question: Had Betty Broderick been plotting a murderous attack all along against a husband who took her for granted for years, left her for a younger woman, and put her through a vicious custody trial — or did she just snap?

I am a faithful viewer of SNAPPED!  My Sunday vice. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   I don't believe Betty's story that she went to Dan's house to kill herself, she used all of the bullets on them, but I can believe that, in a sense, she snapped, but I think she was planning it as she bought the gun.  Even Dan knew she would probably kill him, but then he should have protected himself and home with security methods.

I watch the returns of Dateline shows, Snapped, and ID.