Honored Contributor

Last evening we watched broadcast tv from 8-11. I thought the "new" Hawaii 50 was especially good. We are trying to watch more broadcast and less satellite in the hope of eliminating Direct TV.

Respected Contributor

Re: Direct TV vs Broadcast TV

If one of your favorite Channels is CBS you can get apt for $6. a mo. and one of those cheap tablets for $100 hook it up to your TV and watch TV and most of the non cable you can watch a day later that would be your schedule or at your leisure. (need internet service) use an Ethernet & secondary pass word incase someone in the neighborhood steal some of your bandwidth. We can trust no one now days even cable people from sharing stuff...

There are many devices like Roku, Amazon, and Apple has one they are easy to hook about the size of hockey puck, and some like USB thumb.

Honored Contributor

We have an antenna.

Honored Contributor

I have friends who have antennas. My daughter has an antenna. However, with her, her husband knows everything there is about all things electrical so he can tune into Mars. He's amazing and so are his children (equally intelligent).

Anyway, as for me, at my age I get what I want. I want to be able to 'tune into Mars' if I want. I enjoy watching TV and I like electronic things (can't always figure them out, but I like them).

I think more than what I CAN buy I like the idea that people have a choice. My late husband and I did fine with an antenna (he died 10 years ago). We put a rotar on it and from our rec room could turn it on the roof (I recommend one, they are worth the investment). We found that as the leaves came on the trees it actually made a difference to turn the antenna.

After he died I got cable and everything it offered. Don't regret it but I'm a believer that "You'd better give me what I pay for" or else......

I love that everytone here has different ways of getting what they want. That's what makes life so good. Choices. Just because someone has the money, they are able to chose how THEY want to spend their money. Makes perfect sense to me.

Like I've said over and over here......"You guys rock".

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately for roku, apple etc you need Wifi. Where we live the only option is satellite internet which would be more money (data download restrictions) and less choice than Directv. Not all people have those options. Before Directv we did have antenna, rotor and booster. Never could watch abc , leaves or no leaves.
Honored Contributor

We do not watch much TV. We are so disappointed in the choices.