Respected Contributor

Did anyone watch Mr Skeffington with Bette Davis , they said

the big wigs wanted to know why they were so behind schedule , and it was because Bette was trying to direct the movie , nothing new there , but also because the director wanted to go lighter on the aging makeup and she would have no part of it. I have never such bad makeup in my life , it looked like she had a white clay mask on. Did anyone see how bad it looked ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone watch Mr Skeffington with Bette Davis , they said

I recorded it and will check it out. I am such a big fan of Claude R. I have seen it before and thought it had a sadness and poignancy to it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Yes, I watched it, and couldn't get over how bad the aging make-up was as well.  But the movie was wonderful!

Respected Contributor

Let me know what you think of the makeup , i just can't believe they would let something that bad go on screen , they had some pretty great make up and hair people then , even without today's high tech tricks.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

the big wigs wanted to know why they were so behind schedule , and it was because Bette was trying to direct the movie , nothing new there , but also because the director wanted to go lighter on the aging makeup and she would have no part of it. I have never such bad makeup in my life , it looked like she had a white clay mask on. Did anyone see how bad it looked ?

I thought the makeup was heavy because she had smallpox and needed it to cover the scars? @MW in Iowa 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The makeup was on purpose, it was intended to be awful.  When she had diphtheria, her beauty was ravaged.  She lost her beauty, hair, eyelashes and aged considerably due to the illness.  Being as vain as she was, she wore wigs, eyelashes and heavy white makeup of her youth as she tried to recapture what was, now, lost.

I think it was Robert Osbourne who mentioned in one of her early movies that involved a cat accident, the studio had her bandages beautifully wrapped around her face as if she was a gift wrapped package.  She left the set and had her own doctor wrap her face in bandages for a realistic look.  She was known for this, never that concerned about beauty but realism.  It's been said she insisted that the makeup for Baby Jane be grotesque.  She was an original!!

Frequent Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

About as bad as her Baby Jane Hudson almost twenty years later!

Esteemed Contributor

That's been one of my favourite films for years. Love how casually she plays it when that lock of hair drops off.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I thought the makeup was heavy because she had smallpox and needed it to cover the scars? @MW in Iowa 

@Trinity11-You are correct about the heavy makeup.  The character is very vain and contracts diphtheria which takes a toll on her face.  The bad makeup job is of the storyline and plot.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I recorded it and will check it out. I am such a big fan of Claude R. I have seen it before and thought it had a sadness and poignancy to it.

I watched an interview on TCM with Claude Raines daughter.  She said that her dad and Bette were really good friends.  She was so funny, she said at one time she actually thought that Bette lived with them lol.  I guess every time Bette had a break up or something she would stay in their guest room.  lol.  Nice interview.