Frequent Contributor

Re: Did anyone watch Dateline last night? (Sun., 11/7) [Spoilers]

I have it on tape!! I traveled to Mexico 2 times as a Travel Agent. Once to Cancun for only 2 days and that was TOO Long, even at the UPSCALE Hotel I did not feel safe. And getting to the hotel by bus all you see is poverty!!! Another time to Acapoulco to get on a Ship sailing to Hawaii!!! I always wanted to see Acapoulco, HORRIBLE place, don't leave your hotel!!!  Little kids begging for money they live in shacks on the side of the road. I am sure there must be nice people in Mexico!!?? I just never saw any, Rude people at the working at the hotels.

Respected Contributor

I am even afraid to travel back to Europe as there are many terrorist cells there.  They target Americans.  For me, the stress is just not worth it!

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone who "loves" this dangerous area and takes their family there, then returns even after the horrible kidnapping is NUTS.

Esteemed Contributor

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

If anyone is interested, I couldn't remember what the name of the place was where Night of The Iguana was filmed. Did some checking. It's Las Caletas if anyone is interested in just looking at google images. It's hailed as one of the most beautiful places in the world which I hadn't heard. It certainly was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I guess they have tours now. Back when I went we hired a guy with a boat, lol. Can you imagine??

Richard and Liz had just started their torrid affair and director John Huston is quoted as saying, "there were certainly more photographers than iguanas". Haha

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

The way I figure it.  They're going to get it when I die, why not see them enjoy it?  Right?

Right!  The old saying 'you can't take it with you.'  You came in empty handed and you will go out empty handed.

Sorry about the empty post,my screen jumps so much  it's hard to get a handle lol.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

Yes, it was very difficult to watch.  To go through all they endured and to have it end too soon.  Heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Richard and Liz had just started their torrid affair and director John Huston is quoted as saying, "there were certainly more photographers than iguanas". Haha

The affair started when both were filming Cleopatra.  Liz was married to Eddie Fisher & Richard was married to Sybil Christopher.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac Yes, that's correct. I think NIght of The Iguana was the next film Burton did and they were both still married to other people. I also read that Liz went because she didn't want to leave Burton alone with Ava Gardner (good idea, lol). 

I also just read that the film was actually shot in Mismaloya. They all stayed in Puerto Vallarta which at that time was a tiny village. They told us when we were  there the famous scenes were shot in Las Caletas. I know that's where Huston's home was. Who knows. Both places were accessible by boat from Puerta Vallarta and not far away. 

At at any rate, it's a shame what has happened to Mexico. It is beautiful. 

If course all three places are tourist attractions now and commercialized. 

It's so interesting when you start reading about all this old stuff/movies. One thing leads to another. 

Honored Contributor

skylark, my late husband used to say, "If we do this right, we won't have any left when we die."  That's the tricky part.  Right?