Honored Contributor

I'm not sure of the relationship of the parents of the child that was slapped to Hector. I'm sure that this child has a history of this kind of behavior. I would not invite him and his parents to my home, it's not fair to the other children and adults to have him be around. This child needs some kind of therapy.

Honored Contributor
On 2/15/2015 jordan2 said:

I'm not sure of the relationship of the parents of the child that was slapped to Hector. I'm sure that this child has a history of this kind of behavior. I would not invite him and his parents to my home, it's not fair to the other children and adults to have him be around. This child needs some kind of therapy.

As well as the parents. What was that wife thinking when she invited them.

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/15/2015 occasional rain said:

I watched and found it interesting. The slap was minor to the neglect and poor parenting his parents gave him. They haven't socialized him at all, no one with any sense will want him around. Far worse than someone losing it and striking out.

I have to agree, it is how I felt to when I watched it. I don't feel I would want that child in my home , and it really is the parents fault for not socializing him. Nursing him at that age seems a little nuts as well.
Frequent Contributor

I watched the original Australian series on Netflix................. I found it to be a brilliant series & very thought provoking.....................

I did watch this episode, so as to do a comparison.................. I was not impressed............. This episode seemed more focused on the so called relationship between Hector & Connie.......... Not sure I want to continue with this series, was quite disappointed................

Respected Contributor
I just watched it(ice covered roads meant no work). I will watch again.I thought it was interesting and I like many of the actors. More than that undisciplined kid,that mother in law would drive me crazy!
Respected Contributor

I watched it and was confused how they were all related or friends. I will watch again but it needs to pick up. If I had a friend who had a child like that I would not invite them to my house. I have had to lose friends because I could not stand their children especially if they could never do anything without them. You work hard to buy things for your house and it should not be destroyed by unruly children. I don't think you do children a favor by letting them be a child everyone dislikes. A well behaved child is liked gets a lot of invitations and I think that would give them good self esteem.

Super Contributor
On 2/16/2015 LadyO said:

I watched the original Australian series on Netflix................. I found it to be a brilliant series & very thought provoking.....................

I did watch this episode, so as to do a comparison.................. I was not impressed............. This episode seemed more focused on the so called relationship between Hector & Connie.......... Not sure I want to continue with this series, was quite disappointed................

DH and I found and watched the Australian series on Netflix yesterday. I watched the American version on the internet a few days after it aired. I thought the first episode was almost identical to the Australian version except for a few cultural differences but the 2nd episode in the Australian version was about Anouk (older woman with the hot young boyfriend) and according to my cable guide the American version will be about Harry (the slapper.)

Honored Contributor

Well tonight Hector caused more problems and is to blame for escalating the whole situation. I'm beginning to dislike him along with his wife who I disliked from the beginning. Actually, most of them are unlikable.

While Harry needs to control his anger, I can't blame him for being angry with his wife for going behind his back to get his cousin involved which ended up making a bad situation worse. The whole thing would have gone away if Harry's wife and his cousin had just stayed out of it and allowed Harry and his attorney handle it. Notice how the two who pushed Harry to apologize to the Hippies aren't apologizing to Harry for their interference and poor unasked for advice.

I hope Harry is successful in destroying those unfit parents.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/15/2015 annabellethecat said:

There are many forms of child abuse. I was raised by my grandmother, my aunt (who was bi-polar) and a functioning alcoholic father.

My father woke me up every single night of my life (every night) at 1:30 AM when he came in from work. He just wanted to talk about how much he hated my mother (whom I never lived with).

It got so that when I got older I ended up sleeping in separate beds with my grandmother in the dining room of our house so she could try to get him to go to bed so I could sleep.

Even with that kind of abuse I made great grades and even skipped my Junior year of high school. I was determined to be different, and I am.

I'm a very strong individual. I think (unless you have something wrong with your mental ability) you can either let the troubles of life 'get' you, or you can become a strong person 'in spite of it'.

My late husband had a similar difficult time. However, he took a detour to figure out what he needed. Then he met me and I changed his phrase from IF to WHEN.

So, getting back to it. There are many forms of child abuse. Many of the kids I went to high school with, I'm still friends with most of them, had some kind of abuse.

That's why I can't watch a show like that. Any kind of abuse involving children and I move on.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Harry should get everything that's coming to him. He is abusive, a bully, and ill tempered. He made his child feel badly about himself after his game. Also the abusive the son witnessed with his father grabbing the mother caused him to act out at school. He got thrown off the team and the coach thought it was out of character for him. Rose the mother of Hugo really wasn't having any of the apology from Harry and just made matters worse. Oh yeah, Harry is also a cheating husband , just an all around great guy!