Honored Contributor

Re: Did Anyone Watch Poldark?

I agree Danky about the differences between the stars of other countries and US stars.  US stars always have perfect white teeth, slim and attractive.

When we travel to LA we always joke about how attractive the waiters and waitresses, etc are there (most of them are out of work actors).

It's more realistic the way especially British actors don't have perfect white teeth and aren't skinny with perfect hair, etc.

I like the way the woman he married isn't perfect (even the one he wanted to marry is pretty but if it had a been US production it probably would have been Beyonce (just kidding).

As far as the Readers Digest version.  I don't have time to watch all of the shows I want to watch so I don't mind that its a subjugated version.  I don't FF over this show (well....maybe when he's riding his horse back and forth and back and forth (kidding)......as you can tell I'm a bit impatient.

Honored Contributor

I own the whole series in a DVD set.  I've seen the shows on and off for years.  My husband started calling it Polecat.  Ever since then, I refer to it as Polecat instead of Poledark.  Just out of habit.  It's rather funny.  I also read the series of books.  I prefered the original Poledark stories instead of the other characters who had their own novels. 

Honored Contributor

You reminded me of something.  I was raised by my maiden Aunt, my Grandmother and my Father.

My grandma's mother (whom I never met) was a full Cherokee Indian.  My head is full of Indian (I guess they are) remedies, etc.  I also have tons of ideas and folklore.

Anyway, I drift off subject.  What I remember is my Grandma saying to me (she meant it as a way of saying, "I love you") "You smell like a Polecat".  

So, maybe you have an idea of what a Polecat is.  Cause I don't!  Ha!

Respected Contributor

I watched the original PBS show back in the 1970's & am enjoying the current one also, but it seemed like i recall it taking longer to get to the point where Ross married Demelza in the old shows, or am I remembering it wrong?  It seemed like it simmered longer back then.

Contributor

I have watched the whole first season of POLDARK and LOVE IT!  The music, the scenery, the acting, the editing of the story are all superb!

Can't wait for Season 2 which is already in production.  The version that was shown in the UK contains extra scenes and extended scenes that are not in the version that aired recently on PBS in the U.S.  The UK version can be purchased in a North American DVD format ..... I got mine at Sam's for about $25.  You can order it online too.  

As for the situation with the women waiting along the coastline, looking out to sea ..... They were waiting for the annual migration of large schools of pilchard (sardines), which as another poster wrote they would salt and/or smoke to carry them through the winter.  The barren rocky land was inhospitable for growing crops and they were not allowed to hunt on the land of the big landowners.  As they said, without the pilchard, they would starve.  The fear was that the migration was not going to come that year ..... it was already late ..... they were afraid the fish had been swept by the current over to Ireland.  When the fish show up, you can see the big "bait ball" roiling the water, with seagulls circling above.  Then they quickly take the fishing boats out to haul in the catch, and all the people are there with baskets and whatever containers they can secure to get the fish out of the boats and carry them away.  

PBS aired an older production of Poldark in the 70's, which you can also purchase online.  I think it ran for 29 episodes.  The actor who played the hero Ross Poldark in the series also appears in the current PBS series as Reverend Halse, the harsh magistrate who sentences Jim Carter to prison.  

It is often hard to understand British dialects and expressions.  It helps if you turn on the Closed Captioning.