Honored Contributor

Re: Did Anyone Watch Poldark?

I feel like a 5th grader on here.  I was talking to my grandchildren (who, like most kids these days are 13 and 12 going on 30) about how as you get older you learn the reason you don't call someone fat vs using the word.

A foreinstance was (I said to them) when I used to say "Grandma's getting so fat" (me the Grandma).  They'd have a fit and say, "Grandma fat is a bad word.  We can't say that word".  Now they know the difference between a 'bad' word and calling someone 'fat' and so on.

My point here is that I feel like I'm back in (not even 5th grade, maybe 2nd grade) trying to figure out just what the heck is a BAD word.

These boards have become so generic I get exhausted trying to figure out how to say something that won't cause me to get dropped.  I still don't understand what happened to gardenman.

Anyway, about Poldark.....I think he's marrying the girl to keep her 'honor'?  What??  I guess back then.......just another case of a man not being able to keep things where they belong.  Whoops!

Honored Contributor

So very good last night.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I am so slow sometimes.  I couldn't figure out why all of the women were always standing looking out to sea.

Then in the upcoming attractions it said that the ships had not come in and people were very hungry.

That started me thinking that fish was their main staple.  I still don't understand.  So the men in the town go out and fish for long periods of time and bring in all of those fish and the fish last for the year?  Why didn't they have other things to eat?

I think things are going to turn very DARK starting next week.  Good grief, when I see these period shows it makes me realize how lucky we are to have been born in this time!  

So, I'm still thinking about how some people get upset when an actress is spoken about being fat, etc.  Actresses especially, and some actors must have to have a very thick skin to be in the business they're in.

This brings me back to Poldark.  The young woman who plays his cousin is meant to be very unattractive.  So do you think when they advertised for someone to play her part they asked for an 'unattractive' actress around the age of 22 or whatever?

I'm watching it now and he is a mighty nice looking man but he's not anywhere as good as Jaime in Outlander.  Ohhhh!!  I'm too old for all of this.

Honored Contributor

I wondered why the fish was the only food ,also and  the cousin is not pretty,but she is very sweet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

annabellethecat wrote:

I am so slow sometimes.  I couldn't figure out why all of the women were always standing looking out to sea.

Then in the upcoming attractions it said that the ships had not come in and people were very hungry.

That started me thinking that fish was their main staple.  I still don't understand.  So the men in the town go out and fish for long periods of time and bring in all of those fish and the fish last for the year?  Why didn't they have other things to eat?

I think things are going to turn very DARK starting next week.  Good grief, when I see these period shows it makes me realize how lucky we are to have been born in this time!  

So, I'm still thinking about how some people get upset when an actress is spoken about being fat, etc.  Actresses especially, and some actors must have to have a very thick skin to be in the business they're in.

This brings me back to Poldark.  The young woman who plays his cousin is meant to be very unattractive.  So do you think when they advertised for someone to play her part they asked for an 'unattractive' actress around the age of 22 or whatever?

I'm watching it now and he is a mighty nice looking man but he's not anywhere as good as Jaime in Outlander.  Ohhhh!!  I'm too old for all of this.

I believe they were referencing the fish for food during the winter, when other things would not be available.  Many societies with access to fish would dry and smoke them instead of other meats that were not available to them so that the fish would keep during the winter months.  This was a period of time when that class of people didn't have beef, mutton, or even were allowed to hunt deer or birds.  (Re: an earlier Poldark episode that the young man trying to feed his family was jailed for poaching on the lord's property.)

As for Jamie (Outlander), no way!  I don't watch the Outlander series because we don't get the premium channels, but I did see the first episode on a free preview.  I've read all the Outlander books and love them, so I have a definite idea in my head what all the characters look like.  I didn't like the TV adaption at all.  And the young man playing Jaime was not at all like the Jaime I have in my mind.  I'll stick to the books!

Honored Contributor

gazerette, I didn't read the books but my daughters did.  I don't have the patience to read that many books in a row.

I did get this weeks Entertainment Weekly magazine because they have everything about upcoming TV shows, movies, shows on air now, everything I love.

They did a small blurb about Outlander and showed the guy who plays Jaime on TV.  He looked way skinnier than the one we see on TV.  Maybe he beefs up for the TV show.

I did read where in 2016 when it comes back on air it is going to be a very different show.  

I like him so much (except for his hair, I prefer dark hair) his physic is very much like my late husband.  My late husband worked out every day and at the age of 58 had an actual '6-pack' on his stomach.  He looked 'beefy' like Jaime looks on the show. 

I think it's unfair that people can't just get all of the channels.  If you subscribe to a cable co you should get all channels.

I do hope you maybe just give the new 2016 another chance.  He will dress very differently as they will be living in Paris.  They will be wearing a 'lot of silk clothes'.  I hope they don't make him look too feminine.

The scene after the wedding on Outlander was my absolute favorite scene of any show I've ever watched and that's saying a lot since I watch a lot of TV (and very, very different shows).  It was done with such love and tenderness, that's what sold me.

Anyway, this is Poldark and I have once again gotten off course.  This seems to be something I do quite frequently.  Some are used to me doing this.  I always have to apologize.

Respected Contributor

I've been watching this wonderful series and have enjoyed every minute. The acting is incredible with the subtle nuances of relationships shown. The scenery is breathtaking and well words cannot adequately describe the handsomeness and appeal of the main character. Those who have missed the first episodes have missed some great television.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Reiki - Well said.  I totally agree.  They are re-showing it on the channels again today and this past weekend.

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:
I've been watching this wonderful series and have enjoyed every minute. The acting is incredible with the subtle nuances of relationships shown. The scenery is breathtaking and well words cannot adequately describe the handsomeness and appeal of the main character. Those who have missed the first episodes have missed some great television.

I finally watched all the back segments and absolutely agree with your post. The words I would use to describe Ross are lusty and very sexy......I want him ! ANNABELLE---I had no clue what the women were waiting for either. I figured it out when the fishing boats arrived....DUH ! One of the things I love about this series is that they are not just a bunch of pretty people. The cousin, her father and many others are "plain" and even the "pretty " ones have flaws. So much more realistic.

Esteemed Contributor

For those who didn't have the opportunity to view the original "Poldark" on PBS some years ago, I can only say you've really missed out.

Though the current actor playing Poldark may be a hunk, I feel moved to comment on the series: what you're viewing is the Reader's Digest version.  There is so much meat to the Poldark story that's been left out.  From Sunday to Sunday, huge masses of time and development have been cut from the story line.  What you're viewing is simply a summary.

What this means to the viewer is that if you are not "up" on the history of Cornwall, you may wallow in a lack of knowledge, which the original series provided.