Honored Contributor

Re: Diana Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy

[ Edited ]

I'll pass...    It's not like anyone in the world has had a chance to forget.  It wasn't that long ago.  They seem like nice young men, I wish they'd move on stop wallowing in their grief.  It's not healthy for them.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'll pass...    It's not like anyone in the world has had a chance to forget.  It wasn't that long ago.  They seem like nice young men, I wish they'd move on stop wallowing in their grief.  It's not healthy for them.  

@chrystaltree   Clearly it hasn't occurred to you, then, that there are people who might have been too young then to remember anything about Diana or not even born yet.  After all, her death occurred 20 years ago and her fame was prior to that.    So I don't see how you can even make the statement I highlighted above.  

Do feel free not to watch it.  Others might very well be interested, hence my post.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reminder that this starts tomorrow.

Here is a review of it that I found online:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/diana-mother-her-life-1023403

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - Thanks for the reminder!!   Looking forward to it - my DVR is set.

Valued Contributor

people are uninformed if they think the "boys" are wallowing in it...this is the FIRST time they've spoken about their Mother as a mother

it was a sweet and tender show...Im so glad I watched

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed it, esp. the photos and home movies. I have to admit it brought a tear to my eye when they mentioned how she was only 36 yrs old when she died.   Such a young, caring, beautiful woman - gone all of  a sudden.

As it was supposed to be, it was very one-sided, from "she was the best motherin the world" standpoint.  From what I've read over the years, she had quite a few emotional problems, from the bulimia to kind of going over the "deep end" with men (including Hasnat Khan) and her friends have said (if you read a lot of books on this) that William acted like an adult from a very early age, being his mum's sounding board and offering her advice, even about the men.  And she was off with one of them when she was killed too.  So none of her instability was brought up of course, which wasn't the intent of the show, but on the other hand I don't believe she was as perfect a mum as was portrayed.

I was thoroughly impressed with William.  He came across as intelligent, caring and truly still broken up about his mother's death.  As he spoke about her, you could see how emotional and grief-stricken about her he still is, all absolutely genuine.  At the end of his talks, he would often have to bite his lower lip to keep from tearing up or crying or losing it somehow.     Harry came across as much different to me. Something about him seemed much less intellgent than his brother and as if he was making a sales pitch of some kind.  I just didn't like him nearly as well. The two young men are quite different.   

I hadn't known - or had forgotten - that it was William's idea for Diana to auction off her gowns for charity.   I loved that!  And seeing Diana's handwritten note about it being his idea.

As HBO repeats this and as people here watch who DVRd it, I'll be eager to read more comments.   Thanks for yours @BettyNewbie .

Honored Contributor

P.S. to my post above - I will say that I didn't like this show so much that I would watch it again.  Also, a lot of the segments had been given away already in previews/promos so I'm glad I watched this but once was definitely enough.

Respected Contributor

I watched the show.

It was a straightforward and true presentation without tabloid. Expressed in feelings of  love.

Diana was a good mother, an exceptional one given their surroundings. Her focus was not on royalty but life, seeing and experiencing things as others did. Lessons in reality and enjoying yourself and others. Expressing your feelings and love, and being helpful to others.

Life outside the royalty.

The death of Diana the mother is the tragedy of her life.

She loved and was so loved.

Honored Contributor

I had set my DVR to record it, but there was some sort of disturbance in the force that messed with my cable system and it didn't record.  Going to have to look for it again to either watch or record.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed it and thought it was very well done.