Trusted Contributor

Re: Designing Women "Stranded" 11:30PM 6/30/20

Loved Designing Women.

My favorite episode was Foreign Affairs. 

— Suzanne receives a letter from the INS saying that her maid Consuela's work permit has expired, and unless she can qualify for a green card or US citizenship, she will be deported. Suzanne doesn't think Consuela can pass the test, so she pays Anthony to impersonate her.

Meshach Taylor was so funny in this episode. 

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom 

What did Doc Severinson's estate have to do with this?  Never heard anything about it...do tell!

Also, love the note from Dash Goff:

"DASH'S THANK YOU NOTE"

"Yesterday, in my mind's eye, I saw four women standing on a verandah in white gauzy dresses and straw colored hats. They were having a conversation, and it was hot --- their hankies tucked in cleavages where eternal trickles of perspiration run from the female breast bone to exotic vacation spots that Southern men often dream about. They were sweet smelling, coy, cunning, voluptuous, voracious, delicious, pernicious, vexing and sexing --- these earth sister rebel mothers, these arousers and carousers. And I was filled with a longing to join them. But like a whim of Scarlett's, they turned suddenly and went inside, shutting me out with the bolt of a latch. And I was left only to pick up an abandoned handkerchief and savor the perfumed shadows of these women. These Southern women. This Suzanne, this Julia, this Mary-Jo and Charlene. Thanks for the comfort. "
---Dash Goff, the Writer

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman - I remember Dash's note- another vivid description that takes me there!

I have to apologize about the Doc Severinsen statement! I was eagerly awaiting the release of the whole series on DVD. They didn't bring it out right away, and I THOUGHT I read it was because his estate wouldn't release the rights to his amazing trumpet playing that opened each episode. I have thought this all along until now.

First and most important, Doc is very much alive! The release didn't happen right away, but it obviously wasn't for the reason I thought. I am so sorry- I need to check things out more carefully!  Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I tried to find information about the Doc Severinsen and Designing Women.

And I read this about Doc Severinsen's wife, Emily Marshall.  

She is Stepmother of Nancy Severinsen, Cindy Severinsen, Allen Severinsen, Robin Severinsen and Judy Severinsen.

Third wife of Doc Severinsen.

Met future husband, Doc Severinsen, when she was working as a secretary to The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (1962)'s producer, Frederick De Cordova.

She wrote 2 episodes of Designing Women. And she also produced 9 episodes.

Georgia on My Mind
by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell
Performed by Doc Severinsen
(seasons 1-5)

I did not realise that the Severinsen family was so involved with the show Designing Women.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom 

Please....don't even think about it!  

I was only interested in knowing some little nugget of info I'd heard nothing about.  

Nevertheless, we all oved the show and the woman....I'm just sorry we no longer have this type of viewing...the kind you looked forward to.  I miss it, but did buy the DVD's when they were available.  I've got to get them out and watch again.

And @drizzellla 

So interesting to know the connection.   Thanks!