Trusted Contributor

Re: 'Designing Women' TV Revival in the Works

Not to throw a monkey wrench into it, but Dixie Carter and Meshach Taylor passed away several years ago. They couldn't be replaced, IMO. 

Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

The chemistry will never be repeated in a new formula. Time and again we have seen this occur. I'll save everyone time from posting failed examples. 

Sometimes it's better, like on the new Hawaii Five-0. I like the chemistry of the cast of the MacGyver reboot, too. I won't count the success of Will & Grace and the new Roseanne, as they had the exact same cast, and Designing Women can never be the same without the irreplaceable Dixie Carter.

I'm skeptical about this one because I loved the original so much. I feel a little better knowing that Bloodworth-Thomason is behind it, as Diane English is behind the Murphy Brown reboot. And it would be fantastic if they found a way to bring Annie Potts back. She's on Young Sheldon now, but Annie Potts is welcome on any show in my book. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @LyndaGee, wasn't that the one where innocent cousin Carlene is all pleased with her new digs, and has the others over for a party.  The place is some sort of dive, with live gunshot outside the windows, etc.   Hysterical.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

Not to throw a monkey wrench into it, but Dixie Carter and Meshach Taylor passed away several years ago. They couldn't be replaced, IMO. 

I agree. It wouldn't be a show without the ensemble, but especially without the character of Anthony. His banter with Suzanne is irreplaceable. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

Not another redo of a very favorite show!!  This is really getting so ridiculous.  Isn't there a show writer with new, creative ideas????  I won't watch a redo...they are never as good as the original.

So far - I have heard/read possible redos:

Frasier

Cagney and Lacey

Mad About You

Magum PI

Miami Vice

The Munsters

Murphey Brown

Perry Mason

The "new" Magnum P.I. starts September 24 on CBS, starring Jay Hernandez as Thomas Magnum. He will not have a mustache, but there will be a joke about it in the first episode. Still set in Hawaii, Afghanistan replaces Vietnam. The characters of T.C and Rick will be back, and there will be a "Juliet" Higgins. Don't know if we'll see "The Lads," Zeus and Apollo! I would imagine we will. 

Again, if I had time, I'd just watch reruns of the original. I might DVR this to see how it is. I'll see!  Smiley Wink

Frequent Contributor

Loved that show .... a reboot???  Not so sure.... The ensemble cast was perfect.   Without the charaters of Julia and Anthony...... I don"t know...No one could play either one . Julia and her tirade speeches were wonderful!

Respected Contributor

I always loved Designing Women.   One of my favorite episodes was when Suzanne made Anthony dress like a woman and pretend to be the maid, Consuela,  and meet with the immigration officers.    

Poor Anthony, he was always at the beck and call of Suzanne.  

That was such a great show.

What was your favorite episode?

Honored Contributor

I loved Designing Women, but those days are gone, and my favorite Dixie Carter is dead. I just don't think it could be "politically correct" in today's world, to be funny, too many people would complain!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I think the major networks have realized that people aren't watching their shows. Instead they are watching the old shows they loved on cable channels.Thus - they are reviving those old shows to try to get you to come back & watch them.

Personally, the few network shows I do watch have so little show time and such long commercials I get bored watching the ads and turn them off.

If they can get a good cast with the chemistry the old cast had , it may be a good show.

More true words were never spoken. Too many, too frequent and just plain bad commercials are one of several factors that have ruined television.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

@corita, of the ones you listed, I think Murphy Brown is already in the works and may even be scheduled. I hadn't heard of all of the rest - most are just plain silly to revive! There are good law shows (or could be) and we have enough police shows already, so i don't even understand a remake of Miami Vice - that was all about the two leads and their clothes!

@Lisa now in AZ The Magnum retread is already being shown as premiering in the fall with a man whose only resemblance to Magnum appears to be that he lives in Hawaii and drives a sports car...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...