Esteemed Contributor

Re: Derek Hough Has Left DWTS

Again?  DIdn't he leave before?

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

Derek was very over rated. Many are every bit as good as him but he always got the best dancers. He thought he was King of the dance floor. Maybe if he gets knocked down a bit he won't think he is better than everyone else.

You want to take a look at how many awards he's been nominated for and/or won to see how others in the industry view him.  I doubt they'd think he was "overrated".

He's also had a career that's spanned numerous genres.  I don't know him personally so I don't know that he thinks he's "better than everyone else".  Perhaps you do?

As for his choreography - I think he's amazing.  One of the very best out there.

Funny how some people love to "knock down" anyone who's successful doing what they love.

I'm sorry to see him leave DWTS, but I think it's inevitable that he would want to move on with his career.  And I think there are other very talented pros on the show.  My current favorite is Val; I could watch him dance all day and night.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Derek was by far the best choreographer.  Nobody was as good as he was.  Even Len has commented that he was the best choreographer and Len should know.

Honored Contributor

He will be missed, good luck to him!

Related image

Respected Contributor

cherl burk left for another show and shes back so maybe he will come back.  keep your fingers crossed

Respected Contributor

Derek Hough is an amazing choreographer & dancer. He also knows exactly how to showcase his partner so that you see them in the best light & doesn't pull the attention to himself instead of the team or his partner. That is something that other dancers have problems with, no matter how good of a dancer his is. One of the pros said that they should be the frame that shows off the "picture" which is the celebrity dancer. Cheryl, Sharna, Lindsey, & Derek are really good at that. Whitney is good at it, also, but to me she is so pretty that she still pulls your focus. Val is getting better at it. Maks stinks! LOL He loves the attention. I don't know if Derek was just over it or if Marilu wasn't a good fit, for whatever reason. He didn't seem to enjoy this season. No chemistry at all between Marilu & Derek. I've said it before, but I think that it is the celebrity's demand that got them Derek more than Derek trying to always score a "ringer". I'm pretty sure that Derek could make me look good dancing & that would not be an easy thing to do.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle I can't wait to see Hairspray. I think it will be so fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Derek is a primo choreographer and fabulous dancer. He gets accolades for his talents and has been offered many other jobs because of that talent. He brings the best out in his partners whether they have a dancer's soul or not. Not sure I will want to watch next season. Max won't return after this short stay. Mark is on Broadway. Val?  Not sure what he will be doing. I can understand, though, how the DWTS format could get boring after a while. I wish Derek the best and hope to see him dance elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot I agree with  you about Derek and I also love/loved "So You Think You Can Dance".  I didn't like it when they had the children dancing.  I also love Travis (the instructor on SYTYCDance).  He is amazing!  I felt weird watching kids doing some of those dances that would be better with adults dancing (especially the dances about relationships and love).  Just me I guess.4

Honored Contributor

I heard him on Entertainment Weekly XM Radio today.  He was with the entire group that's doing LIVE Hairspray in a few days.  He's also staring in it.  I adore him.  He's so talented.