Honored Contributor

Deborah E. Lipstadt (Rachel Weisz) battles for historical truth when renowned Holocaust denier David Irving (Timothy Spall) sues her for libel. 2016.

Showtime: Amazon Prime 

Based on the acclaimed book "History on Trial"  in this case the film falls short of the book. Still for those unaware of the story it is worth watching. 

Honored Contributor

This is a great movie.

I guess I saw it on Showtime.

It's so well done.   Such a powerful subject matter.

Unless a movie goes totally off the rails, it's usually unfair to compare it to a book.

It would probably be difficult for a movie to do the book justice, so what's to do?   Not do a movie?    A movie reaches a different demographic.    I don't read, so I've never read the book.

It's really not what I expected, I had a vague recollection of the trial.

But I don't watch much news, the media turns everything into a circus.

Honored Contributor

@software

The movie serves an important purpose in bringing awareness. I used to feel the same way about comparing the two forms of storytelling. This is why I stressed the importance seeing the movie.  I'am Jewish,  Pray the world never forgets.

Honored Contributor

Very well said.

I am not Jewish but I respect His Chosen people.

I know the truth and the truth must always be told, no matter how ugly or painful.

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@software

The movie serves an important purpose in bringing awareness. I used to feel the same way about comparing the two forms of storytelling. This is why I stressed the importance seeing the movie.  I'am Jewish,  Pray the world never forgets.

Trusted Contributor

I came across this movie searching through my on screen guide weeks ago.  Really enjoyed it.  Right now my Dish Network has been without HBO for over 2 months fighting with new network owner ATT.  Hard to find movies I have not seen before, and really enjoyed this one.

A must see.