Respected Contributor

Re: Daytime Emmys are back this year

@deepwaterdotter

You would think so, but it's also WHO is doing the buying, which is why which is why the ratings in the prized 18-49 demo are supposed to be what they look at, but even that doesn't hold up.

Nor does, for example, a decline in viewership. Or other markers. For example, posters were expressing disappointment on another thread about a favorite of theirs being canceled, noting that others with lower ratings (including those demos, markers, etc.) remain. That's true. Just look at The Rookie, which was renewed, with not only underwhelming season ratings, but also a .6--for its FINALE.

Very strange.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

YAY!

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
The ONLY reason for this last-minute decision was the pandemic, which postponed the launch of their new streaming platform which was supposed to showcase the Sports Emmys, Daytime Emmys, and a host other award shows. They've said so.

Also, it's clear that ratings have little or nothing to do with which programs are renewed, and which get the axe. Consider how networks tout their "top-rated" [enter genre here]--though they're dogs which consistently come in third, and which MIGHT garner an abysmal 1.3 rating, even adjusted for time-shifted viewing.

It's all about what they WANT to air. And even the smelleroonies stick around.

Too true all around. Clearly, the networks gave up on 'qualtiy' programming over a decade ago and have, for the most part, ceded that aspect of television to cable and streaming services. Meanwhile, they continue to program schlock and do their best to make it work for them even when it doesn't work for many of us. Some might drink the Kool Aid, I guess I'm just not one of them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Ratings make or break a show, poor ratings usually mean sponsors pull out, if this show has very low ratings, they wont have sponsors for next year. That is why it was cut 5 years running, no sponsors.