Honored Contributor

Daytime Emmys are back this year

[ Edited ]

CBS to Air Daytime Emmys, Which Returns to TV for the First Time in Five Years

Michael Schneider

The Daytime Emmy Awards are heading back to TV. Nine years after the kudocast last aired on a broadcast network — and five years after it was last on TV — CBS will once again telecast the Daytime Emmys, to be held on Friday, June 26.

CBS last aired the Daytime Emmys in 2011. The telecast then moved to cable in 2012 and 2013 (HLN) and was last seen on TV in 2015, via Pop TV. After that, it’s been relegated to online, via YouTube, Facebook and KNEKT-TV streams.

•  

The Daytime Emmys has nonetheless maintained a bit of a relationship with CBS in recent years, as it continued to announce its nominees exclusively on the Eye network’s “The Talk.” This year, the 47th annual Daytime Emmy nominations will still be revealed on “The Talk” and CBS-owned ET Online, via an announcement on Thursday.

“The Daytime Emmys are coming home,” said National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences president and CEO Adam Sharp. “For generations, daytime television has been a source of comfort and continuity that’s never been more important. We’re delighted to join with CBS in celebrating the programs and professionals who never cease to brighten our days.”

This is a big last minute shift in strategy for NATAS, which had previously revealed plans to launch a streaming service that would serve as the place to watch the Daytime Emmys and its other awards shows.
The new over-the-top platform is still being planned, but its launch was originally timed to the Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards in April, and the Sports Emmys in May, both of which were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Originally scheduled to take place in Pasadena, Calif., from June 12 to 14, the Daytime Emmy Awards were postponed last month to a new, undetermined fall date. Now, this brings the telecast back to June as originally planned.

The Daytime Emmys used to be a broadcast mainstay, rotating between ABC, NBC and CBS in its heyday. But NBC dropped out after 2004, and ABC after 2008. The CW aired it in 2009, and then CBS aired it in 2010 and 2011, the final year it was on broadcast — until now.

This will be the 14th time that CBS has broadcast the Daytime Emmys, the most of any network.

“As a leader in daytime, we are thrilled to welcome back the Daytime Emmy Awards,” said Jack Sussman, Executive Vice President, Specials, Music and Live Events for CBS. “Daytime television has been keeping viewers engaged and entertained for many years, so it is with great pride that we look forward to celebrating the best of the genre here on CBS.”

There’s no word yet on who will host this year’s telecast, but “The Talk’s” Sheryl Underwood and “Access Hollywood’s” Mario Lopez have hosted every year since 2016.

Associated Television International will produce the remote telecast, which will feature awards “in leading categories, with recipients and other special guests appearing from home in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.” Additional categories will be announced simultaneously on Twitter (@DaytimeEmmys), with others presented in a separate ceremony in July.

“In these challenging times, daytime has been a primary influence in staying connected with its audience, entertaining them and keeping them informed,” said executive producer and director David McKenzie of ATI, which previously produced the 2009 Daytime Emmys on The CW, as well as the 2010 and 2011 shows on CBS. “We are honored to be a part of it. We are also excited for the challenge of introducing a new format that will celebrate the contributions of daytime television.”

The Daytime Emmy Awards launched in 1974, and are presented to individuals and programs broadcast between 2 a.m. and 6 p.m. as well as certain categories of digital and syndicated programming of similar content.

This year’s Daytime Emmys received more than 2,700 submissions and were judged by a pool of 1,000 peer professionals from across the TV industry.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: * Daytime Emmys are back this year! *

I am so happy!  

As I said in the GH thread, first one who accepts in PJs wins my vote for next year.

Honored Contributor

I never bothered watching online the past few years. It should be on every year!

@Laura14 That is funny Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

So when the best show wins, do we get zoom shots of the losers slamming their computer shut?  I have visions of real housewives reunions and walk offs happening...🤣

And I hope the academy sends a note that, if you gotta go, leave the computer outside the bathroom!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Daytime Emmys are back this year

[ Edited ]

They really shouldn't have... This year's list of soap nominees reeks...

Besides, with only four soaps left, the competition is more manufactured than real and add in the fact that soap writing is apparently a lost art and really, none of these shows deserves an award. Most of the actors nominated don't either... Unlike the golden days of soaps, wins at this point are little more than hollow victories...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Hate to say it, but when they have no ratings, it will go back to online only. 

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree, @Shelbelle. The only reason they are being televised this year is because the networks are desperate for something live or new. Next year, back to oblivion.

Honored Contributor

I guess if the acceptance speech goes on too long they hit mute?  

I think this has the potential to be a great event.  Happy to see daytime get some respect again.  Everyone works hard on the daytime shows especially the kids categories.  Everyone deserves their moment, in public, on a network.  Bravo CBS.  

Respected Contributor

The ONLY reason for this last-minute decision was the pandemic, which postponed the launch of their new streaming platform which was supposed to showcase the Sports Emmys, Daytime Emmys, and a host other award shows. They've said so.

Also, it's clear that ratings have little or nothing to do with which programs are renewed, and which get the axe. Consider how networks tout their "top-rated" [enter genre here]--though they're dogs which consistently come in third, and which MIGHT garner an abysmal 1.3 rating, even adjusted for time-shifted viewing.

It's all about what they WANT to air. And even the smelleroonies stick around.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady  But isn't the network's bottom line to make money?  If a show gets low viewership, won't the advertisers choose to spend their dollars on a higher-rated show?